By : Jeremy Kimrey
Habitat of the Swordfish
- The Swordfish lives in warm or cold water.
- They live around the east coast of North America, Africa, and Australia.
- They migrate to warmer waters in the winter and colder in the summer.
- It is a midwater fish living around 650 to 1,960 feet deep.
Reproduction of the Swordfish
- They reach sexual maturity between 5 or 6 years old.
- Little is known about the reproductive behaviour.
- All that is known is that spawning occurs in warmer waters year around and during spring and summer months in cooler places.
- They have been observed in the Atlantic and in the Mediterranean sea while the males chase the females.
Diet of the Swordfish
- They are apex predators.
- They eat pelagic fish which get in big schools.
- They also eat squids and other cephalopods.
- Their only predators as adults are humans and orcas.
How the population has gone down
- The population has gone down in the last 30 years
- Their populations have gone down because of fishers.
- Right now their population is normal