Washington County Weekly 4-H Update
March 26, 2021
WHAT YOU WILL FIND IN THIS WEEK'S 4-H UPDATE...
- Washington County 4-H Calendar
- NEW! - Lend A Hand Service Month
- Nebraska Extension DHM Phase/Covid-19 Risk Dial Guidance
- New 4-H Year Begins! Enrollment is Open
- 2021 Washington County 4-H Public Speaking Contest
- Help Needed from 4-H Clubs
- Sustainability Kits Are Available!
- Chicks Available in May
- YQCA Certification
- Spotlight On 4-H Newsletter
- Virtual & At-Home Educational Resources
- 4-H Project of the Year Kit Available
- Governor's Agricultural Excellence Awards
- 2021 4-H Volunteer Training Available
- 2021 Outstanding 4-H Volunteer - Nominations Open
- New Classes Offered at the Nebraska State Fair
- New Dog Achievement Program
- Horse Judging Practice
- 4-H Youth in Action Award Applications
- UNL Livestock Judging Camp
- 2021 District 4-H Horse Shows
- 2021 4-H Summer Camps
- Enroll Now - Big Red Camps
- Other Statewide Events and Resources
*NEW OR UPDATED INFORMATION IS BOLDED!
April 12...................................................Deadline to Enter Public Speaking Contest
April 25...................................................4-H Public Speaking Contest
May 7......................................................District/State Horse Entry Deadline
June 15...................................................4-H Enrollment/Animal ID/YQCA Deadline
June 28 & 29...........................................PASE & Life Challenge Contests, East Campus-Lincoln
June 30...................................................State Public Speaking Contest, East Campus-Lincoln
July 8......................................................Pre-Entry Due for Washington County Fair
July 30 - August 4, 2021........................2021 Washington County Fair
Washington County 4-H Calendar
Did you know that you can find the Washington County 4-H Calendar on our webpage? View just the month or download and print the whole program year!
Visit https://go.unl.edu/washingtoncounty4hcalendar to view. As dates/events continue to be added we will update the calendar. The webpage will show the most recent date that the program calendar was updated!
NEW! - Lend A Hand Service Month
NEW! Lend a Hand Service Month
In 2021 we are shifting the traditional Lend a Hand Day to a Lend a Hand Service Month! How will this work? Using the GooseChase Application youth and families will complete challenges such as “donating items to the food pantry”. Youth and Families will then document the challenge they completed by taking a photo and uploading it to each challenge in the app. Families and youth who complete at least half of the challenges will receive a Lend a Hand participation gift. Those who complete all of the challenges will receive the participation gift and be entered for the chance to win the “Top Participant” gift. This new opportunity allows for families to give back to their communities on their own time, safely. We are looking forward to see all of the impact we can bring to the communities of Washington County through giving back. BONUS: you will want to create a team and be involved so you can watch the newsfeed and see how the 4-H Staff are giving back to the community! Final details along with the Game Code will be sent next week.
Nebraska Extension DHM Phase/Covid-19 Risk Dial Guidance
Nebraska Extension DHM Phase/Covid-19 Risk Dial Guidance
Follow Most Restrictive Guidance: State DHM or Local Health Department Covid-19 Risk Dial
CURRENTLY – ORANGE
4-H Clubs (events, activities, meetings)
Recommend meeting virtually; Facial coverings required for in person meetings; Follow additional local/county guidance.
Effective November 30, 2020
2021 4-H Year - Enrollment is OPEN
Nebraska 4-HOnline Enrollment Link: https://ne.4honline.com/Login.aspx?403D4050364539525371705375593D
Please note that the 4-H project history has been cleared and you must enter the project name and the number of years you have participated in it. You will find your history by going into your Family Account and choosing Member Reports.
You might also notice that the Virtual Robotics project shows up in the project history but has been removed this year as the curriculum is no longer available.
Our 4hOnline payment system is back up! Families are now able to proceed to the payment page and complete enrollment.
2021 Washington County 4-H Public Speaking Contest
2021 Washington County 4-H Public Speaking Contest
The 4-H Public Speaking Contest provides an opportunity for youth to improve their public speaking skills while building confidence. If you write a speech or deliver a public service announcement (or both!) it's sure to be an enjoyable learning experience!
View the rules, regulations and the registration forms on the website by going to: https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/washington/washington-county-4-h-public-speaking-contest/
Registration forms for Washington County 4-H Public Speaking Contest is due to the Nebraska Extension – Washington County Office Monday, April 12th by 5pm.
At this time we do plan to hold an in-person event at the Rybin Building at the Washington County Fairgrounds in Arlington.
Help Needed from 4-H Clubs
We need your help! We are looking for a few 4-H Clubs in Washington County to work on building new picnic tables for the fair grounds. The Washington County Fair Board will provide the specs for the picnic tables. This would be a good club project activity. If your club is able please contact the Extension Office so we can get you on the list to send the information. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Sustainability Kits Are Available!
Washington County is partnering with Iowa State University Extension in Harrison County and Corbion in Blair to offer sustainability kits. Youth will learn about plant waste, clothing waste, fossil fuels, and ecosystems! Kits are available ANYONE! These self-paced kits are completely free and make great lessons to learn about creating less waste. Youth may also show off what they learned at the county fair by exhibiting their projects! This is a great way to complete 4-H projects early in the summer!
Registration is open now until April 9th. Please use the link to get registered today as there are only 25 kits available! Kits will be available for pick up the last week of April.
Just in time for spring and a perfect 4-H project! Washington County classroom will be participating in 4-H Embryology in the month of April. We are looking for places to rehome our chicks! Chicks are projected to hatch around May 1st and May 7th. Chicks will be laying hens from Hendrix Genetics.
We will have up to 7 dozen chicks available. If you would like more information or know of someone who needs chicks, please contact the office at 402.426.9455 or email@example.com.
YQCA Certification – Get it completed early!
YQCA (Youth for Quality Care of Animals) certification must be completed by June 15, 2021 for all youth who plan to exhibit a beef, dairy, goat, hog, sheep, poultry or rabbit animal in 4-H this year. You can visit www.yqca.org to complete your certification. You will need to use your 4-HOnline user name and password to start the process. IMPORTANT—you must have completed your 2021 4-H Enrollment to begin your YQCA process. Remember you will need to send a copy of your certificate to the office to verify you have completed your YQCA certification for 2021! The perfect winter activity is completing your YQCA early!
Virtual & At-Home Educational Resources
Looking for educational resources you can use from home? We've got you covered! 😉
Nebraska 4-H is now offering a variety of virtual learning experiences, such as Living Room Learning and Boredom Buster Challenges. We've also collected some of our favorite activity guides that are perfect for hands-on learning at home.
Check out our virtual and at-home educational resources at https://4h.unl.edu/virtual-home-learning.
Virtual Field Trip - Ward Laboratories
4-H Home Environment Virtual Workshop
Join us for a virtual Home Environment workshop using many items that you can find around your home or easily gather! Youth will learn about the elements of design as well as create three projects that can be exhibited at the County Fair. Registration can be completed by going to https://go.unl.edu/homeenvironmentworkshop. A supply list as well as connection details will be sent to those registered at a closer date. It is never too early to get started on projects for the fair, let us help you.
When: Thursday, April 15th, 2021 | 5:30-7:00PM via Zoom
Questions? Contact Jaki or Mickayla at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Looking to advance your horsemanship knowledge and skills? Check out our Horsemanship Study Courses! Three levels are available and are open to all youth ages 8-18 interested in learning more about horses. Youth do not need to be 4-H members to enroll in the self-paced courses. Learn more at 4h.unl.edu/horse-study-courses.
- Whether it’s your favorite photo you’ve taken this fall or one you took to the county fair, we want to see it! Submit your favorite photo for a chance to be showcased. The 4-H photography showcase offers members a project exhibition opportunity beyond traditional print media. 4-H’ers are invited to submit their favorite photo they’ve taken for a chance to have it showcased online for thousands of 4-H fans to admire. Learn more and submit a photo at 4h.unl.edu/photography-showcase.
Nebraska 4-H Project of the Year Kit Available!
Governor's Agricultural Excellence Awards
We are extending the deadline to apply for the Governor’s Agricultural Excellence Awards for 2021. Please encourage your clubs to consider applying for a grant to assist with completing a project that will have a lasting impact on your community or program. The application form is linked on the Nebraska 4-H Foundation website: https://www.ne4hfoundation.org/governers-ag-excellence-award/. We will accept applications through April 1st,, 2021.
Nebraska 4-H Foundation’s Governor’s Agricultural Excellence Awards sponsored by the Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (NIFA) is a prestigious award designed to recognize 4-H clubs for their efforts to serve their communities. This grant is intended to provide funding for 4-H Clubs to complete projects that will have a lasting impact on their communities. Projects should be intentional and impactful, growing club members as leaders and fulfilling a need in their community.
Recognition is in the form of a $500 check issued to the club’s treasury to be used as described in the award application form completed by the club.
Examples of fundable programs include mentorship programs, intergenerational programs, attending educational experiences, hosting workshops/educational events and service-learning opportunities.
In order to be considered for the award, applications must be completed by April 1, 2021. Please direct any questions to Lindsay Shearer (email@example.com) or by calling 402.472.9019.
New Classes Offered at the Nebraska State Fair
It is with great excitement that Nebraska 4-H will be offering new livestock classes and divisions at the 2021 Nebraska State Fair! With the decision to shift 4-H and FFA livestock shows to the two different weekends, this provided the opportunity to offer new shows and programs for 4-H.
Here’s what is NEW!
In our beef area, we will now be offering:
- a feeder calf show,
- a junior breeding heifer class to all of our breeding classes, and
- 4-H members will now be eligible to show up to a total of five beef animals. A 4-H’er can exhibit up to two market beef, three breeding heifers and two feeder calves as long as the total number of entries does not exceed five beef animals.
In our swine area,
- We will be offering a breeding gilt show. This breeding gilt show will include 9 purebred classes as well as a crossbred class.
- In our market swine show, we will be creating a more diverse show by including 9 purebred classes.
- We will also be adding new “Farrowed and Owned Breeding and Market Swine” divisions. The Nebraska 4-H Farrowed and Owned Swine Cohort is an opportunity for youth interested in learning more about the swine industry and is designed to cultivate the next generation of leaders in the swine industry. The goal of the Nebraska 4-H Farrowed and Owned Swine Cohort is to enhance the educational value of the traditional 4-H swine projects by providing unique opportunities focusing on swine production as goal of the member’s project, along with accurate and complete record-keeping, industry knowledge, and engagement by the 4-H member.
- 4-H members will now be eligible to show up to a total of five swine projects. A 4-H member is limited to exhibiting three market hogs and two breeding gilts
- 4-H members will now be eligible to show up to a total of five sheep maximum, if at least two are breeding ewes. In no case will a 4-H member exhibit more than three market lambs.
- 4-H members will now be eligible to show up to a total of five goats maximum, if at least two are breeding does. In no case will a 4-H member exhibit more than three market goats.
NEW 4-H Dog Achievement Program
We are excited to present our NEW 4-H Dog Achievement Program for 4-H youth! This program is similar to the Diamond Clover program you all may know about.
4-H Dog Achievement Program
The program consists of levels that require a young person to plan and report a broad range of age-appropriate accomplishments. For each level, the Dog Achievement program provides a list of accomplishments from which 4-H youth choose their goals. The accomplishments increase in quantity and difficulty for each level. At the beginning of the 4-H year, participants plan what to accomplish and at the end of the 4-H year, they report on their completed accomplishments. Successful completion of a level's Plan & Report form results in a 4-H youth earning that level of the Dog Achievement program.
More information can be found at: https://4h.unl.edu/dog-achievement-program
🔥MOCK HORSE JUDGING CONTEST🔥
Want some horse judging practice? Our Practice contest is open - you can join anytime as you’ll have access until April 15.
Check it out – great time to practice!
Judge classes and answer questions just like in a contest; but without the pressure of awards and placings. Practice the classes as many times as you want!
Running online March 15-April 15, 2021
Halter & performance
Questions on every class
Official placings and cuts will be provided
No awards will be given
Brought to you by Extension Horses
4-H Youth in Action Award Applications
- Youth in Action awards are due March 29th! The National 4-H Youth in Action awards program recognizes four confident young leaders with diverse backgrounds and unique perspectives in four core pillar areas: agriculture, civic engagement, healthy living, and STEM. Pillar winners receive a $5,000 scholarship, an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington D.C. for National 4-H Council’s Legacy Awards, networking opportunities, and recognition as an official 4-H youth spokesperson. Apply now at 4-h.org/parents/4-h-youth-in-action-awards.
Nebraska 4-H Summer Camps
We have exciting news! Registration for Summer Camp 2021 is now OPEN! Check out our exciting 4 and 5 day overnight camp offerings at the NEBRASKA STATE 4-H CAMP in Halsey! Charter bus transportation option offered select weeks from Lincoln (UNL East Campus) and Grand Island (Raising Nebraska)!
See full camp descriptions and register online: https://4h.unl.edu/camps-centers/summer-camp/schedule
Other Statewide Events and Resources
Cat Club - https://4h.unl.edu/companion-animal/cat-club
- Dog Showmanship Video Series - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?reload=9&list=PL579hRei5D7xwKTqpe8kJw0GnfKK4x8l4
- Virtual Dog Club - https://4h.unl.edu/virtual-dog-club
- Companion Rabbit Science Online Course - https://4h.unl.edu/companion-rabbit-science
Companion Animal Workshop - https://4h.unl.edu/companion-animal-judges-workshop
Washington County Extension | 4-H
Jaki Zahourek, 4-H Extension Assistant - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mickayla Blender, 4-H Extension Assistant - email@example.com
Mary Larsen, 4-H Support Staff - firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: 597 Grant St, Blair, NE, United States