- "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"
-Pope Francis says, "There is an element of hypocrisy [for a Christian] to speak of peace and then manufacture weapons"
-More than 30,000 people are killed by firearms each year in this country
-More than 30 people are shot and murdered each day
-Percentage of American households with a gun has been steadily declining (high of 54% in 1977 to 33% in 2009)
-In our world (guns starting the Spiral of Violence)
- Isis and other terrorist groups killing innocent people including Americans
- Immigrants trying to flee violence and deprivation in America
- problem concerning who can control the "Holy Land" in Israel
- Terrorist bombings in Paris
Connection to Catholic Social Teaching
- The production of weapons also violates the life and dignity and humans, because weapons purposefully kill individuals.
- When countries go to war, the government’s funding and money goes in support to the soldiers and war efforts, and in turn leaving behind the poor. Because of this, their basic necessities cannot be met to provide for themselves or their families-solidarity
The Brady law was passed 20 years ago, background checks have stopped more than 2.4 million gun purchases by people like felons, domestic abusers, and fugitives. But 40% of gun sales still go unchecked, leaving the door open for dangerous people to buy guns. Sign this petition to demand further background checks and have stricter Gun Laws. By doing this, we can stop the spiral of violence of giving out more guns to people causing harm in our world.
If we help by donating to this, this non-profit organization can provide authoritative information on nuclear, chemical, biological, and conventional weapons dangers free of charge because we believe good policy depends on an engaged public and informed policymakers.