Welcome to an Exciting New Year
The counseling office has been buzzing with excitement since August 1st, when all of the counselors returned to school as a team. Since then, we have hosted multiple events from NFHS Rush, College and Career Extravaganza, College Application Day, to New Student FLEX sessions. We love interacting with our students and seeing their progress from year to year.
Remember that the counseling team is here to support students, parents, and teachers. Therefore, whenever you need us, please feel free to reach out. We have an open door policy for our students. Students are able to come to the counseling office when needed and see their counselor. Parents - please feel free to call or e-mail about any questions you may have.
We welcome you all back to school and are looking forward to a wonderful 2019-2020 school year, with all Falcons, new and old!
New Face in the Counseling Office
Welcome to Ms. Keller
PSAT and ASVAB
Wednesday, Oct. 16th, 8:30am
1400 A O Jones Boulevard
Fort Mill, SC
- The PSAT will be given to all 10th grade students for free. Eleventh grade students who have signed up and paid for the test will also participate in this testing session. Sign ups for the test are currently closed.
- The ASVAB will be given to all 11th grade students who are not participating in the PSAT. In addition, several 12th grade students will be taking the ASVAB and will be notified of this. Sign ups for this test are also closed.
Junior Flex Meeting
Wednesday, Oct. 30th, 1:30pm
1400 A O Jones Boulevard
Fort Mill, SC
FAFSA Opened October 1st
Use the following link to start the application: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa
Senior Check List for October-December
- Complete the FAFSA (Free application for Federal Student Aid) starting October 1.
- Some colleges will have deadlines (rolling, priority, early decision, and early action) as early as this month.
- If you cannot afford the application fees that many colleges charge, ask your counselor to help you request fee waivers.
- Research Scholarships. Ask your counselor, your colleges and local religious and civic groups about scholarship opportunities. You should never pay for scholarship information. Mrs. Dreher (our in house scholarship coordinator) can help you; please visit her blog at https://nafoscholarshipscoop.wordpress.com.
- Finalize and send any early decision or early action applications due this month. Have a parent, teacher, counselor, or another adult review the application before submitting.
- Make sure testing companies have sent your scores directly to the college to which you are applying (NFHS does not send your ACT or SAT scores).
- Every college will require a copy of your transcript from your high school. These are requested through Naviance. https://student.naviance.com/nfordhs
Welcome to Nation Ford High School, Your New Home!
Ms. Keller and Mrs. McKenzie are very excited that you are here and are happy to be on your ninth grade journey with you. We hope that everything goes smoothly for you this year. However, if you ever have a question or concern that you need help with, we are here for you. The following are just a few tips and tricks to begin your 9th grade year.
Tips for 9th grade students:
- Ask questions. If you don't know, ask a teacher, administrator, or counselor. We are all here for you.
- Grades matter. Work hard and do your best. No one can ask for more than that.
- Get involved. We have over 40 clubs and over 15 different sports. If there is nothing you like, start something new!
- Make new friends and introduce yourself (they are probably just as nervous as you).
- Get organized and stay that way.
- Have a study plan and stick to it.
- Go to a school event and become part of the community.
- Advocate for yourself - talk to your teachers yourself. This is great practice for college.
Tips for 9th grade parents:
- Take a deep breath. It is all going to be okay :-)!
- Use your ParentPortal.
- Encourage your students to self-advocate with teachers and counselors.
- Encourage your student to get involved in clubs, sports, and the Nation Ford community.
- Start having regular career and college talks with your student.
Contact Nation Ford Counseling Department
School Counseling Department Staff
(click on the person's name you would like to e-mail)
Receptionist - Brandi Spratt
Registrar - Scarlett Westmoreland
PowerSchool Clerk - Anita Benfield
9th Grade Counselors
Megan Keller - A-K
Marla McKenzie - L-Z
10th-12th Grade Counselors
Alex Market - A-D
Kirkley Russell - E-L
Abby Duncan - M-R
Staci Dreher - S-Z