Lets talk about NARCOLOSY
What is it ?
- Where people frequently feel sleepy during the day
- Experience sudden inexplicable urges to sleep otherwise known as sleep “attacks”
- May fall asleep suddenly anywhere and anytime
- Cataplexy (loss of muscle control)
- Sleep paralysis
- Nighttime wakefulness
- Rapid entry into REM sleep
- The cause of narcolepsy is not known
- However, research has been able to identify genes strongly associated with the disorder.
- These genes control the production of chemicals in the brain that may signal sleep and awake cycles.
- Some scientists think narcolepsy may be because of a deficiency in the production of a chemical called hypocretin
- Researchers have also discovered abnormalities in the part of the brain that regulates REM sleep
- No cure for narcolepsy
- However drug treatment is used to lessen symtoms
- Sleepiness is treated with amphetamine-like stimulants.
- Symptoms related to abnormal REM sleep are treated with antidepressant drugs.
Sleepy Man : Dee Daud - National Geographic Narcolepsy
April 21st 2015
Sleeping Beauty Disorder ?
What is it ?
- Sleeping beauty disorder formally known as Kleine-Levin Syndrome(KLS) is a rare, neurological sleeping disorder
- Can be characterized by “recurring periods of excessive amounts of sleep, altered behavior and a reduced understanding of the world”
Symptoms (when awake) :
- Lack of energy
- Lack of emotions
- May also appear confused (disoriented)
- Experience hallucinations
- The exact cause of Kleine-Levin syndrome is not known.
- However researchers have found that hereditary factors may cause some individuals to have a higher chance of developing the disorder
- May be related to malfunction of the hypothalamus (portion of the brain that helps to regulate functions such as sleep, appetite, and body temperature)
- There is no treatment for KLS
- Though some studies have shown that some patients grow out of it ( stop experiencing symptoms)
Alanna Wong featured on Anderson Cooper speaks about Kleine Levin Syndrome (KLS)