April 30, 2016
Staff Appreciation Week!
- Monday: Breakfast
- Tuesday: Lunch
- Wednesday: Lunch
- Thursday: Lunch
- Friday: Lunch
Other staff appreciation week information:
- Enjoy wearing jeans all week for staff appreciation week!
- Chipotle http://chipotle.com/teacherappreciation
Fantastic round up on Thursday night! Thank you Wendy, Chris, Denise, Denise, Shelly, Rebecca, Abbey, Lisa, Tonya, and Sandy for welcoming our newest Texans and their families! What a great way to get excited about 2016-2017!
Wonderful presentation at staff meeting by Dolores on the power of student voice! Looking forward to seeing how the student voice project grows at BES!
Thank you Abbey for presenting a behavioral RtI refresher for our staff! We appreciate your humor, empathy, and understanding of the needs of our students and staff!
Thank you Al, Carolyn, Corrie, Hayden, Jan, and Tonya for serving on the liaison interviewing committee! Your voice is invaluable to the growth of our campus!
Great marriage of Behavioral RtI, Restorative Practices, and Love and Logic in specials! Thank you Dolores, Leigh, and Sue for adjusting your behavioral plan to meet the needs of your students. You each made a huge impact on our students!
Science Club is ExPlOsIvE!!! Thank you Al, Corrie, Jeanette, Susan E., Connie, Brittany, Hayden, Susan A., Wendy, and Abbey for helping with Science Club this semester!
No subs on Thursday! Thank you everyone for being at BES on Thursday!
Assignments for next year will not finalized during summatives as we are still waiting on several factors, including, but not limited to projected enrollment numbers, ESL certifications, outside opportunities, and best fit scenarios.
Looking forward to meeting with each of you over the coming days!
As we evolve in our classroom practices from a teaching platform to a learning platform, we are going to evolve in our leadership roles from team leaders to learning leaders. BES learning leaders will be charged with LEADing growth on their teams and building capacity within the people in our building. Learning leaders will serve as a role models and exemplars of communication, instructional best practices, and be charged with ensuring a positive, rigorous, and engaging learning environment for all students occurs at BES. Interested in learning more about the role of a BES learning leader, join Jamie and Tonya on Tuesday, May 3 at 3:10 p.m. in the Learning Commons. Anyone interested in applying must attend this meeting.
Professional Learning Opportunities
- GCISD Innovative Teaching with Technology Conference: If you are attending the GCISD Innovative Teaching with Technology Conference on June 14, please let us know by placing your name on this list.
- Math Book Study: As we grow in our capacity to serve GCISD students, we invite you to be a part of an exciting book study hosted by the GCISD math department!
- Humanities Learning Opportunity: Check our the link for LOTS of learning opportunities.
- GT Update for 2016-2017: June 21 GT 6 hour update featuring Ian Byrd. He will be presenting differentiation strategies and the training is close by at the PDEC.
- GCISD Summer Learning Opportunities: Click here for a list of district offerings.
- Technology: Instructional Technology can fund 3 teachers per campus for ElementaryCON and 1 teacher per campus for TCEA Tots & Technology. In addition, we can fund 3 teachers per campus for iCreate. You may or may not have teachers interested in this. This conference is primarily for those implementing Maker Spaces. Click here for more information.
- Summer 2016 Instructional Technology & PBL Learning Opportunities:https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/document/d/161Xh5FpUcruprr06QGmWZoQ-kVEC2_sAg4I_slKP_Pw/edit?usp=sharing
- Code.org: https://docs.google.com/document/d/161Xh5FpUcruprr06QGmWZoQ-kVEC2_sAg4I_slKP_Pw/edit?ts=570f9eea
- YMCA Teacher Appreciation Day: On Sunday, May 1 from 2-5 p.m., YMCA Camp Carter will host a free event for teachers with food samples, guided hikes, a campfire with s'mores, fishing and more. Please share this event with your teachers and encourage them to register ahead of time.
From Technology: Google has enabled the ability for us to approve YouTube channels which is great news. We have many teachers that create lectures, lessons etc and upload them to their own YouTube channel and before now have had to request each video be unblocked.
If you have a teacher channel, put in a help request to have their channel unblocked.
We will not be unblocking student channels, only staff. We also probably won't unblock outside channels because we can't control what content is uploaded after the approval. If you have questions let Diane Isbell know.
- Summer Programs: This summer we will offer courses for students completing K-6th grades. Our program brochure is available online on the Summer Enrichment page and a limited amount of printed brochures will be sent out to all elementary campuses the week of March 28th. If parents need assistance with the online registration or have questions, you can direct them to the Summer Programs Office which is located in the GCISD Tax Office this year. The number is (817) 251-5206 and the office will open Monday, March 28th.
Retirement Dinner: If you are planning on retiring this school year, please mark your calendar for the GCISD Retirement Dinner on May 5, 2016.
Diverstiy in the Classroom: Boarder Crossers is hosting two events May 21 or May 23, for a $35 fee. Let Jamie know if you are interested in attending. Check out this link for more information: http://www.bordercrossers.org/get-involved/#events
Mark your calendars for the following BES spirit nights:
Early voting runs through May 3 and in honor of the freedom to vote, GCISD parents and staff are encouraged to wear red, white and blue jeans onMonday, May 2. Send us your "I Voted" photos at email@example.com and you may be featured on the district's Facebook page.
May 3: Look for visits and grade level choice
May 10: No PLCs STAAR testing
May 17: Tech PLC
May 23 (special Monday meeting): Student class placements
May 24: RtI
May 31: No PLCs 5th grade softball game
- 5/3: Chick-Fil-A
- 5/10: Zoe's
- 5/17: Chop House Burger
- 5/31: Menchie's
Service Opportunities: Please let Jamie or Tonya know if you are interested
- Website: One staff member from BES to manage and update the BES website.
- CHAMPIONS: One staff member from each campus/department serves on this committee, serving a year commitment, learning about the ins and outs of GCISD. Thank you Hayden for representing BES this school year!
- DEC: One staff member along with one parent from each campus serves on the District Excellence Committee (DEC) for a two year commitment. The DEC is like our CEC, but making decisions at the district level. Thank you Tonya for representing BES on DEC for the past two years!
At this time, we have the following openings:
- One teaching position
- Learning liaison
Dates to Know
- August 2: Enrollment completion
- August 6: GCISD Back to School Fair
- August 15: Welcome back staff!
- August 16: Convocation at GHS
- August 17: Workshop
- August 18: Staff workday & meet the teacher
- August 19: T-TESS in the morning & staff work time in the afternoon
- August 22: First day of school!
- August 26: Welcome back & Rachel's Challenge kick-off assembly 2:00 p.m.
- September 2: Dad's Club Breakfast
- September 5: Labor Day Holiday
Week at a Glance
- Red, White, and Blue (jeans)
- PLC’s in Lisa's room
- Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night
- 5th grade Aspire field trip
- Learning Leaders Preview 3:10 p.m. in the Learning Commons
- Jamie: Principals' Meeting
- Fitness Force- Come join us!
- Summative Conferences
- KC Club
- Rebecca Nurses' Meeting a.m.
- Spirit Day
- Denise out