From the Desk of Mrs. Riley
May 3, 2018
Please join us this coming Sunday for our Open House from 11:00 AM-1:30 PM and again on Thursday, May 10th from 6:00 PM-8:00 PM for Open House, as well as the Art Show and Band Concert. Come see all the wonderful things taking place at Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic School.
Here are some happenings this week:
- Congratulations to our 5th grade students who will celebrate the Sacrament of Confirmation this coming Monday. Please keep them and their families in your prayers.
- We had the pleasure of welcoming the NET Ministries Team this week for our 8th grade retreat. What a wonderful experience it was for all involved. A huge thank you to the Cole family who hosted our team!!!
- We are in the midst of establishing the faculty and staff assignments for the 2018-2019 school year. Families will be made aware of the faculty and staff assignments in the May 31st newsletter.
- Final examinations will begin this month. Performance Assessments are required for all students across all grade levels. These assessments occur over multiple days and will be administered over the month of May. The only required objective assessment is Religion. This will be administered on the first day of scheduled testing. All other objective assessments are at the discretion of the classroom teacher.
- We are excited to announce the implementation of new programs in the areas of Math and Science for Grades 3-8 for the 2018-2019 school year. The new HMH Science Dimensions series will be introduced. This is a student driven initiative which seeks to elevate science literacy by creating a high level of student engagement. The Go Math series engages students with both a textbook and online learning applications. These two new programs will move our students forward in becoming critical thinkers and problem solvers.
- Our Race for Education is one week away. Students will be bringing home permission forms on Monday. Congratulations to our 1st graders who were awarded the class prize for bringing in the most labels. And congratulations to our individual winners as well. Between online donations and donations made directly to school, we have already raised over $5,000 to be used for security enhancements.
- The 2018-2019 tentative calendar can now be found on the school website.
Thank you for your constant support and prayers for our school. I encourage you to continue to support our work as we advance our mission to provide a transformative education steeped in academics and faith to our deserving students. There is no greater investment for forming our future saints than a Catholic education!
Please carefully review this week's newsletter for many reminders and updates. We thank you for entrusting your children to us and for the sacrifices you make each day to send your child(ren) to Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic School.
Mrs. Barbara Riley
OLGC Spring Open Houses 2018
Sunday, May 6, 2018- 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM
Thursday, May 10, 2018- 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
Bishop's Tuition Transfer Grant Program
Please use this link to begin your application: https://online.factsmgt.com/aid
A completed Federal Income Tax Return will be required to be submitted as evidence to complete this application.
Race for Education & How to Donate
Next Friday, May 11, 2018, Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic School will be conducting our first Race for Education. The purpose of this fundraiser is to raise $20,000 to be used towards security enhancements and facility updates for our school.
If you wish to donate directly online, here is our race site link: http://www.race4ed.com/olgc/. Simply type in the name of the student you wish to sponsor & donate. We encourage all students to have at least one sponsor. Please feel free to share this link with anyone you wish. The link will also be provided on our mailers which will be sent out to possible donors this week.
P.I.E. (Partners In Education) Weekly Update
*If you are unable to print out any forms – a written note with the necessary information from the forms, along with payment, can be sent into school instead.*
Important Flyers & Information
Flynn & O'Hara Uniform Sale
Yearbook Order Form
The OLGC 2018 Yearbook is ready to order. Yearbooks are available for purchase at $27.00 each. Cash or Checks made payable to OLGC School are due by Friday, May 18th. You may also write one check for multiple yearbooks. Please fill out all the information and send your order, along with payment, to the School Office. Please mark YEARBOOK and make sure your child’s name and room number are on the envelope. Thank you!
Click HERE for a printable Yearbook Order Form.
OLGC CYO Sports Banquet
Preparations are now being made for the annual OLGC CYO Sports Banquet. The ceremony is set for Saturday, June 2nd & will begin with the 5:15 PM Mass in the Lower Church followed by the Awards Presentation also in the Lower Church.
Dinner, DJ and Fun will follow the Awards Presentation in the school gymnasium until 9:00 PM. The cost is $8 per Adult & $8 per CYO participant (grades 3 – 8). Children in grades 2 and below are free & there is a family maximum of $40. Please complete the form and return no later than Monday, May 21, 2018. Please return through the OLGC School Office if at all possible & please address the envelopes to “OLGC CYO Awards Banquet."
Spirit Day 2018
"Shrek Jr." Presented by OLGC PAC
OLGC Carnival Pre-Sale Tickets
"Virtue of the Month"
The virtue for the month of May is Fairness. Fairness is the ability to treat everyone with kindness and respect that they deserve. Fairness includes sharing and taking turns, playing by the rules, being honest, compromising, including others, not blaming others, admitting when you are wrong, and keeping an open mind about different opinions. If you see someone displaying the virtue of fairness, fill out a virtue slip for them today. The winners will be announced at our next Community Homeroom.
School Safety & Security
The safety of our students is our top priority. No visitor or volunteer may go to any area of the school without first signing in at the office and receiving a visitor’s badge. Visitors or volunteers are not permitted to go to a classroom to visit, confer with a teacher without an appointment, or visit any child in class, at lunch, or in the schoolyard. If parents wish to arrange a conference with a teacher or the principal, they should call the school office first.
Important Dates to Remember
5/4: First Friday Mass and May Procession- 10:15 AM
5/6: Spring Open House- 11:00 AM to 1:30 PM
5/7: SCHOOL IN SESSION
5/7: Confirmation Day Grade 5- 4:30 PM
5/9: Confessions Grades 2-8 - 1:30
5/10: Solemnity of the Ascension- Mass at 10:30 AM; Open House/Art Show/Band Concert - 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
5/11: Race for Education
5/16: Field Trip- Grades K-3
5/18: Community Homeroom- 8:45 AM; Dress Down Day $1.00
5/18: Spring Musical Production "Shrek Jr."- 7:30 PM
5/19: Spring Musical Production "Shrek Jr."- 7:30 PM
5/24: Final Exams Begin for 8th Grade; 4th Grade Field Trip
5/25: SCHOOL IN SESSION
5/28: Memorial Day- NO SCHOOL
5/30: Pre-K 3 & Pre-K 4 Closing- 9:30 AM & 10:30 AM
5/31: Kindergarten Closing- 10:00 AM
6/1: 8th Grade Picnic; Hello Goodbye Dance- 7:00 PM
6/4: Classroom Parties;6th Grade Field Trip
6/5: Spirit Day
6/6: School Student Day of Service
6/7: Grades 1-7 Awards Ceremony- 1:00 PM; Graduation- 5:30 PM
6/8: Last Day of School; Mass- 9:00 AM; Dismissal- 10:30 AM
Committed to Christian Service
Our 2018 Earth Day celebration was organized by our Student Council & included a tree planting service among other environmentally-friendly activities throughout the day.
Dedicated to Gospel Values
Our Student Lectors lead our entire student body during school-wide Mass & also assist weekly at daily Mass, creating a strong sense of faith within our OLGC community.
Leading with Academic Excellence
Our First in Math Program is a great way to create an interest in mathematics in our students as they learn & compete for top scores among their fellow classmates. We celebrate their achievements at our monthly Community Homerooms.
Committed to Christian Service
Dedicated to Gospel Values
Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic School
"Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic School, under the guidance of Mary, seeks to empower students to commit to Christian service, dedicate their lives to Gospel values, and lead with academic excellence."