Police Officer My Dream Job
By: Christopher Rumbo
Being a police officer has been my dream since I was a kid but never knew what they do except drive in a car with radio's. Police officers work in partnership with the communities they serve to maintain law and order, protect members of the public and their property, prevent crime, reduce the fear of crime and improve the quality of life for all citizens.
Daily Tasks and Responsibilities
- Watches for suspicious cars, curfew violators and wanted persons; make arrests
- Patrols a designated area of the city on foot, on a motorcycle, or in a radio cruiser to preserve law and order,
- To prevent and discover the commission of a crime, and to enforce traffic and parking regulations.
- Review facts of incidents to determine if criminal act or statute violations were involved.
- Some police officers are assigned to patrol certain districts of a city while others are office-based but investigate specific types of crimes such as homicides or sexual assaults.
- Border patrol agents are required to patrol deserts, mountains and coastal areas.
- Detectives and border agents often are required to travel long distances at short notice to investigate crimes.
Education and Training
Police officer education requirements range from a high school diploma to a college degree. Police officer candidates are not required to have received training for the job if they are applying for an entry-level position.
Training Requirement - Police Academy
- High school diploma or equivalent; some agencies require college-level training or a degree.
Preferred Job Skills
Ability to use good judgment and to problem solve
Capacity for empathy and compassion
- Capacity for multitasking
- The retirement rate will likely be above average and the number of retiring workers should contribute to job openings.
- The number of job seekers will likely match the number of job openings.
- The average salary for police officer jobs in Melrose Park, IL is $45,000
- The average salary for police officer jobs in Franklin Park, IL is $43,000
High School Preparation
- You should take classes that emphasize written communication skills. Police work involves a lot of writing. Any computer related courses would also be a good idea. There are many things that you can do to increase your chances of becoming a police office
- My career research process was a success. I learned a lot of valuable information on on youtube and having a one on one conversation with a police officer. The idea and details he shared, was really helpful to me and made alot of sense about the career. Now I know for sure that I want to to have my career as a police officer.