Holy Name of Mary Catholic School, February 2020
- Grades 1-8 will skate on Thursdays from February 6th - March 12th
- Kindergarten students will skate on Fridays from February 7th – March 13th.
- During the second week of skating, Grade 1-8 students will skate on Monday, February 10th instead of Thursday, February 13th, since February 13th is our Grade 3-8 Ski Day at Mount Pakenham.
- Students may NOT bring hockey sticks to the rink this year, as they are no longer allowed on the buses.
Winter Carnival Day
Milk Marketing Presentations
The Dairy Industry serves as an interesting and unique learning vehicle for students to gain further knowledge while developing skills that will help them become well-informed decision makers and life-long learners. Mrs. Russell has arranged for presentations for each of our primary classes (JK-Gr. 3) on Tuesday, February 11th and Tuesday, February 18th. The program is 45 minutes in length with interactive activities and is based on the latest Ontario Curriculum and presented by a trained Dairy Educator. Please see the video below for more information.
Royal Canadian Legion Public Speaking Contest
We will also have a practice in the gym for all students who are participating on Wednesday, February 12th at 1:00pm. All parents and family members are welcome to attend.
Outdoor Activity Day at Mount Pakenham
Please note: There will be NO Grade 1-8 Skating on Thursday, February 13th. Students will skate on Monday, February 10th instead.
Junior & Senior Mixed Hockey Tournaments
Ash Wednesday Mass
Pink Shirt Day
Mrs. Reid's Art Club worked on this awesome mural in the big girls' bathroom. Students voted on what they wanted to see painted on the wall. It reads: "Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"
Mme Empey's Nifty Knitters club is loving working with looms! They are working on knitting baby blankets for newborn babies at the Almonte Hospital.
Mr Darou's Making Seniors Smile Club is working hard on making tray favours for the seniors at Fairview Manor. When they get their meals on Valentine's Day, they will get their own special valentine!
Ms Farris' Cooking Club made delicious banana chocolate chip muffins for the staff last week. They were very much appreciated!
Mrs. Simpson's Cricut Club made these cool arrow pencil holders to sell for a Valentine's Day fundraiser! They did such a good job and made 93 in one day!
Ms. Munro helped these young ladies make a giant thank you card for Patrice's Independent Grocer to thank them for the lovely breakfast they made for us a few weeks ago.
- Please note that any changes to bussing (i.e. change of bus; adding to bus route, etc.) are to go through the school office. Parents should not contact STEO or Barr Bus Lines directly.
- A reminder also that it takes 3 - 5 days for any requests to be go through. Parents will need to make alternative bus arrangements until bussing changes are set up. Once changes/updates are confirmed, we ask that parents write a note in their child's agenda so that teachers are aware of the end of the day changes.
- Please send your child to school on snow days dressed for the weather. Snow days are like any other school day. Children will be going out for morning, lunch and afternoon recess.
- There will be no Kiss & Ride in the morning or at the end of day. Please come in to the office to sign your child in & out.
- If your child is walking home by themselves on snow days, please write a note in their agenda so that their teacher/office staff are aware.
- REMINDER: If your child routinely walks to school, please ensure you call the office on snow days if your child will be staying at home. This is to ensure the safety of all our students.
- If it is a snow day on a Pizza Day or Subway Day, the pizza/sub lunch will be rescheduled to another day. Please send your child with a regular lunch if they are coming to school on a snow day.
From the Health Unit
- Listen to your child. Take a deep breath, calm down, and don’t take things personally.
- Focus on their feelings and talk about what you see and hear. “It seems like you are really worried about your test tomorrow.” Or “you seem really frustrated with your brother right now”
- Try to put yourself in their shoes and see things from their point of view. Offer a calm response.
Now you are both in a better place to deal with the situation! For more parenting tips, call 1-800-660-5853, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.triplep-parenting.ca Parenting matters!
Attention Parents of children entering Junior Kindergarten in September 2020: Does your child have the speech and language skills he or she needs to be successful in JK?
Children need a variety of skills, including communication and play skills, to be able to participate, learn, and have fun at school. The Language Express Preschool Speech and Language Program provides FREE assessment and therapy services for children from birth to the end of JK in Lanark, Leeds, and Grenville.
We can help you to be sure your child is on track and ready for school. Don’t wait and see! Go to our website www.language-express.ca for milestone checklists, and call us if your child is missing any of the skills expected for his or her age. Children born in 2016 must be referred by November 30th, 2020. Children referred before November 30th may continue to receive service until the end of JK. Parents can refer or get more information by calling 1-888-503-8885.