Happy New Year!
Welcome back high schoolers!
Spring semester starts now! Remember, your semester grades matter! They are permanent on your transcript, determine whether you earn credit toward graduation, and are used to calculate your GPA. Get organized and start off on the right foot in 2022! Need help? Check out the High School and Life Management Cohort that meets Tuesdays from 3-4pm. New cohort starts this month! See details in the High School Weekly Offerings flyer below.
Click here for the full 2021-2022 calendar
January 28th: Last day to drop a college course without a “W”
February 11th: Last day to add or drop a high school class
March 2nd: Deadline for FAFSA and CADAA applications
March 11th: Last day to drop a college course and receive a ‘W’ instead of an F (Not Recommended)
Taking the SAT or ACT?
- Check here to see if your school requires test scores.
- Click here for information about Fee Waivers.
- Go here for free SAT prep from the College Board and Khan Academy!
See our Important Dates Calendar here for registration dates, deadlines, and test dates.
Headspace for Teens
Headspace is now free for all teens in the US. If you’re between the ages of 13–18 years old in the US, click below to learn more and how to sign up for Headspace for free through our partners:
SEL (Social-Emotional Learning) 1 and 2
5 Credit Elective Class for All High School Students!
SEL Class focuses on helping students deal with everyday emotional stress. Tell your HST if you are interested in adding this class for Spring.
Counseling Corner Live!
Join Mrs. Marroquin, your high school counselor, Tuesdays from 12-12:30 pm here for once a month, grade-level college and career exploration!
- 11th graders meet 1st Tuesdays
- 10th graders meet 2nd Tuesdays
- 9th graders meet 3rd Tuesdays
- drop-in office hours 4th Tuesdays
- "Registering your CaliforniaColleges.edu account" See the recording here.
- "Understanding Financial Aid". See the recording here.
- "Introduction to Financial Aid" and "The Cost of College" See the recording here.
- Scholarships See the recording here.
- Your high school transcript See the recording here.
Click on this button to go to the College Board and Big Future's amazing resource for applying to college! Get all your questions answered here!
OPTIONS AFTER HIGH SCHOOL
4 year college not for you? Interested in learning about other Post-Secondary Options?
Job Corps is the largest, FREE vocational program that offers training in over 82 Career Options at 123 centers across the U.S!
Job Corps Cohort – Open to All High School and Middle School Students interested in learning about the largest, FREE Vocational Program!
College & Career Cohort – Open to All High School and Middle School Students interested in learning about Post-Secondary options, while working on Resume, Cover Letter, Application Help, Interviewing Skills, and more!
Job Corps Fair-missed the live session? Watch the recording here
Questions? Email Jonathan.Quijas@yosemitevalleycharter.org to find out more about Job Corps!
Technical Education Careers at your local Adult School
Many adult schools offer great job training programs for high school graduates! Programs are free or low-cost compared to private technical colleges. Check out the following links to find an Adult Education Center near you!
College Spotlight-Merced College
Did you know Merced College ...
- offers 82 associate degree majors and over 50 certificate programs?
- has a Los Banos campus?
- transferred 620 students to a CSU?
- offers 12 collegiate sports and holds 10 championships?
INTERESTED IN A DEGREE?
Merced College offers over 82 Associate in Science (AS) and Associate in Arts (AA) degrees. Many degrees include a guaranteed transfer to four-year institutions - Associate Degree for Transfer (AST and AAT).
- View the complete list of degrees here.
LOOKING FOR SHORT-TERM TRAINING?
MC offers classes or programs which are more industry-focused than programs leading to an associate degree. Short-term training can help you brush up on basic skills, master specialized skills, and gain an edge in the job market such as
Career Technical Education-Cutting edge training for high tech, high wage job preparation
CAD Mechanical Design
CISCO Academy Computer Networking
Diesel Equipment Technology
Industrial Electrical Technician
- See the brochure for fast-track training programs (pdf). Find out more about Career Techincal Education.
Administrative Office Professional
Diagnostic Medical Sonography
... Many More
- View the list of degrees and certificates offered at College
Business Resource Center
Emerging Leaders Institute
Customer Service Academy
Tech & Social Media
Technical Office Occupations
- See the Career Advancement Academy for courses and registration.
Watch a welcome video here!
CLASS OF 2022
YOUR FUTURE FRIDAYS!
Past Session Topics-click on links for recordings
- California Colleges.edu-Registering your Account
- Completing Career Interest Inventories here and using the Career Search tool here.
- Discover programs and majors that are of interest, what they involve, and colleges that offer them here. Find the right college in California and across the country using the factors that matter to you. Watch the video here.
- Financial Aid and the FAFSA/CADAA
- Launching the FAFSA/CADAA application
- The College Application Process
- Applying to a CSU
- Applying to a UC
- Clovis Adult School CTE Programs Watch the recording here.
- Community College-Fresno City RTG watch the video here.
How do I apply to...?
CA Community College Applying for Admission|
Reedley City College New Student Help
Merced Community College New Student Help
Monterey Peninsula College New Student Help
Hartnell College New Student Help
Gavilan College New Student Help
The priority application period for the Fall 2022 semester: October 1st -December 3rd.
Colleges using the Common Application: An application guide for first-time students
I've applied...now what??
Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application (CADAA)! All graduating students need to fill out one of these forms to be eligible for any federal and state financial aid, including the California Promise (2 years of free community college)! Whether you are looking to go to a university, college, or technical/vocational school, don't miss out on free money!!
Cash for College Workshops-register here for free webinars from the California Student Aid Commission.
- Need a letter of recommendation? Make an appointment with me using the button below.
- Need an unofficial copy of your transcript? Ask your HST or email me.
- Need an official copy of your transcript? Request one here.
You can call or text me at 209-720-7177 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click on the button to check my availability and schedule a Zoom appointment via my Calendly link.
Be a graduating, minority high school senior, present evidence of financial need,
demonstrate a record of academic excellence,leadership potential and a dedication
to community service,plan to attend an accredited and approved 4-year college
within the United States
Jan. 13 AIR FORCE ROTC SCHOLARSHIPS
Must be of Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity; have minimum 2.7 GPA.
Jan. 28 LEAGUE OF MEXICAN AMERICAN WOMEN SCHOLARSHIP Open to all
ethnicities, must live in Fresno County, be an incoming college freshman. Applicant may
be a student attending vocational/tech/trade schools, community colleges, or 4-year colleges.
Jan. 31 eQUALITY SCHOLARSHIP offers $6000 scholarships to honor & encourage
northern & central California students for their service to the
Feb. 1 HMONG NURSING SCHOLARSHIPS offers scholarships to Seniors interested in pursuing the Nursing Field (Pre-Nursing, LVN or RN). Minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA. At least one parent of Hmong descent.
Feb. 7 ELKS NATIONAL FOUNDATION LEGACY AWARD awards $4000 scholarships to any child/grandchild/step-child/step-grandchild/legal ward of a living Elk.
Feb. 15 HISPANIC SCHOLARSHIP FUND awards $500-$5000 scholarships to seniors of Hispanic heritage. Minimum 3.0 GPA
Our scholarship bulletin provides links to help you search for National, Statewide, and Local scholarships.