Mrs. Nelson's 1st Grade News!
Week of November 16th
Well, I had to leave yesterday because it seems I caught the bug going around! Good news... I am feeling MUCH better and glad to be back. This week is an exciting week, the week before Thanksgiving break. Having said that we still have a lot of learning to do. Please read through the rest of this newsletter to see what is going on this week!
I know spelling words/homework were not sent home yesterday. They ARE coming home today. :)
Uteach came to teach us all about motion!
We earned some extra recess for great behavior!
Important Notes For This Week!
Below are some of the most important things for you to keep in mind this week! I am taking out some of the things that have been in for several weeks to make it a tad shorter for you to read. :)
- Report cards go home this Thursday! Please be on the lookout for them and sign and return them after you look them over. I will be sending out more information on Thursday so you can easily understand how to read them. :)
- Please remember to help your child keep up with and record their 100 weekly reading minutes in their folder! Remember they can read the baggy book they bring home every day as well as any other reading material. Reading to them counts as well!
-Folders: Please remember to sign folders nightly. :)
-"Graded Work"- Please look through your child's folder nightly and discuss any work that does come home. Remember, complete sentences are the goal right now! We are now up to including 3 in our daily journal papers! If there is a paper marked "unfinished", please discuss using working time wisely. :) You will also notice some work with the stamp "corrected" on it. If you see this, it was discussed and then given back to your child to try again. If the content is still incorrect, please take this opportunity to discuss the work with your child. :)
- I have finished reading level testing for October, I do it each month. I have a student summary sheet that will be coming home this week to give you an idea of how your child is progressing. Please be on the lookout for this. I will also send an e-mail when I do send it home. It does not need to be signed, it is for your reference only. :) There are a few that I still need to get out.... they will be coming home this week! :)
- As we begin to enter November now, we are really focusing on improving our behavior at school since our stamina is also improving. Please remember to discuss any behavior notes, etc. that you see come home with your kiddos. I always appreciate your support!
- There will be NO school next week as we will be on Thanksgiving break. Enjoy the time with your families!
What Are We Learning?
- identifying and reading high frequency words
- decoding words
- forming letters (handwriting)
- writing legibly
- matching sounds to letters
- story comprehension, story structure, and retelling a story (beginning, middle, and end), summarizing, main idea, author's purpose, retelling, and plot!
-"ug" and "ut" word family
- verbs and exclamation marks
- 2D and 3D shapes and their attributes
- geometric language/vocabulary
- addition and subtraction word problems (identifying what type of problem it is)
- Holiday traditions around the world
- making a calendar
- seasons of the year
You will notice these overlap a little, that is for a reason. :) We are also focusing on the word families "ug" and "ut" this week.
Sight Words: (Please add these to the baggy for continued practice. :)