Tuesday, October 22, 2013
GENERAL SCHOOL NEWS
STUDENTS OF THE MONTH
- Agnes Sponenburgh
- Sami Al-Suleiman
- Hannah Ford
- Luke Melville
- Graham Schuerman
- Lauren Kenyon
The next ACT test date is December 14th.
**The deadline to register for the December test, with a regular fee is November 8th.**
If students are interested in taking a practice ACT for free they are encouraged to call Sylvan Learning Center at 734-462-1132. They will give a test on Tuesday, November 5, 2013 at their Livonia Office. You must pre-register for this opportunity by October 18th.
If students are interested and taking the ACT they can pay for it themselves and register by November 8th to take the December 14th test. Register on line at: actstudent.org. Franklin High School's federal code is 232-352.
- Volunteers are needed to work at Roosevelt Elementary's Halloween Bash. Follow the link for information and to sign-up: LINK BELOW
- Volunteers are needed for Grant Elementary's Ghouls and Games Night on Friday October 25. Follow the link for more information and to sign-up: LINK BELOW
- Volunteers are needed for Hayes Elementary's Halloween Festival on Friday October 25. Follow the link for more information and to sign-up: LINK BELOW
**NEW GMAIL ACCOUNTS FOR STUDENTS**
Did you know??? Livonia Franklin Students now have a Gmail account:
It will be your username at school, followed by @student.livoniapublicschools.org
Same password as your school logon!
**For more information go to the Franklin Library Webpage**
- No students may park at McKinley at any time. Doing so may result in a referral, ticket, and your vehicle being towed.
- Students may not park in the aisle closest to the field house. This is staff parking. You must park in a marked spot.
- Do not park on the end caps.
- Students are not allowed to park in the front lot at any time.
**CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELVES PLEASE!!**
NEW Student News Youtube Channel
CLUBS & ACTIVITIES NEWS
If you are a student interested in joining a club that will allow you to connect with community members and fellow students who want to make a difference, both locally and globally through community service projects, then the FHS Interact Club may be for you. Students interested in this club should attend the first meeting this Thursday, October 24th after school in room 407. If you are interested but cannot attend please see Mrs. Wheeler
STUDENTS LEADING STUDENTS (SLS)
On Wednesday, October 23rd, the Students Leading Students (or SLS) group will host a special after school event for Red Ribbon Week.
We will have a guest speaker who will discuss current local drug use and legal consequences at the local, state and national level.
Pizza, pop and treats will be served!!
National Art Honor Society
- Meetings are Wednesday's for Members & Invitees.
- Would you and your family like to learn how to draw or paint a still life, or make a clay pot?
The Franklin National Art Honor Society Members and Invitees for the 20013-14 school year will be presenting learning opportunities in acrylic painting, drawing, digital photography and clay to the community. These members are very talented and will be able to share techniques they have learned to help many of you.
Art with the Community Night:
Thursday, Nov 14th 6:30-9pm $10
Visit the website here FRANKLIN NAHS for more details.
FRANKLIN NAHS ART "Piece of the Week"
Alexis Surmacz, Junior - Advanced Digital Photography
Gay-Straight Alliance Club
Many new ideas will be discussed, so come by and help ensure Franklin is the most enjoyable place for everyone!
GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT NEWS
Juniors and Seniors you are able to attend information sessions during school hours lead by College Representatives.
The following colleges will be visiting Franklin during the week of October 14:
- The University of MI Dearborn, Monday
- Oakland University and the University of Detroit Mercy, Tuesday
- Baker College, Wednesday
- Central MI University, Thursday
- Bowling Green State University (OH), Friday
Sign up on bulletin board in the Guidance Office. Don't forget to write down the time and date of your session!
Lists of college reps visiting Franklin are posted around the school! Parents and students who sign up for the weekly Guidance Department newsletters will receive information like this, scholarship opportunities, financial aid, and more!
For on line admission apps, make sure to have:
- A transcript electronically sent through Parchment.com
- March 2013 ACT Score
Make sure to complete at least 3 college apps!
Flyers about college applications for seniors are available in the Guidance Office!
COLLEGE OPEN CAMPUS
Fall college open house dates are posted in the Career Information room. Students are encouraged to attend a visit with their parent. Open Campus dates in October are:
- Oakland University and The University of Flint, 10/12
- Western MI University (Broadcasting Careers), 10/15
- Lawrence Technological University, 10/18
- Grand Valley State University, 10/25
- Ferris State University, 10/26
November is the last month when Colleges host OPEN HOUSES or COLLEGE visits with presentations and tours.
- U of M Early Action – Nov 1
- ACT scores sent through ACT and your official transcript sent through Parchment.
- Students interested in learning about Dartmouth College can attend a session on Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 7pm at the Detroit Marriott in Southfield.
- For Seniors applying to Northern Michigan University, you may be eligible for the Presidential Scholarship. Sign up for the competition on the school web site by October 18th for the November competition dates.
- University based MERIT scholarship deadlines are approaching fast. If you are a SENIOR with a 3.5 grade point average and above with an ACT composite score greater that 22 you could be eligible.
French Stars of the Month: September
International Baccalaureate (IB)
CLASS COUNCIL NEWS
There will be a Senior Class Council meeting this Thursday, October 17th in Student Activites to discuss the DMUM fundraiser and Powderpuff football! All seniors are welcome.
Attention Sophomores! There is a council meeting Wednesday, October 23rd after school in McKinley room 24. We will be discussing fundraising and volunteer activities. Please come with ideas. See you on Wednesday!
the 2013-14 school year. They represent the Class of 2017!
- Erin Phelps - President
- Veronica McAuliffe- Vice President
- Agnes Sponenburgh- Secretary
- Graham Opie- Treasurer
- Freshmen Congress Representatives are Lina Mabie and Deanna Silkowski.
PATRIOT SPORTS NEWS
BOYS WIN OF THE WEEK
BOYS VARSITY SOCCER
GIRLS WIN OF THE WEEK
BOYS PERFORMANCE OF THE WEEK
Spencer Lewandowski, Senior, Boys' Soccer
GIRLS PERFORMANCE OF THE WEEK
UPCOMING SPORTS EVENTS 10.14 - 19
BOYS SOCCER MHSAA DISTRICTS - HOME vs PLYMOUTH
VOLLEYBALL @ Churchill
BOYS SOCCER MHSAA DISTRICTS SEMI-FINAL - @ Salem, 5pm
BOYS & GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY - KLAA CONFERENCE MEET @ Huron Meadows
FOOTBALL- HOME vs Salem
VOLLEYBALL – @ U OF M DEARBORN INVITE
Next Game Friday Home vs SalemPatriot Football Website
BOYS CROSS COUNTRY
Congratulations to Keenan Jones who set the course record at Wayne Memorial High school yesterday while crossing the line in first place for the Boys Cross Country Team. Keenan has been the first runner across the line in each of our dual meets this year and was the Livonia City champion as well. Also running well for the Patriot varsity in yesterday's dual meet was Tony Floyd, Nathan McCall, and Kyle Perelli.
Good luck to the boys in next weeks conference meet.
GIRLS CROSS COUNTRY
The Franklin Girls Cross Country team competed in their final dual meet of the season at Wayne Memorial. It was another great meet for the Patriots as they won by another perfect score 15-50. The top seven for the Patriots were Natalie Douglas, Ellary Marano, Mandy Pokryfky, Natalie Martinez, Julie Wonch, Riley Shine, and Katelyn Kovach.
@fhspatriots: Congratulations BOYS SOCCER on your DISTRICT WIN last night over Plymouth!! #Bigwin
Next District game Thursday.
Tuesday @ Churchill
Thursday @ Plymouth
Saturday GARDEN CITY INVITE
GIRLS SWIMMING & DIVING
Thursday Home vs Churchill
- Boys Basketball Practice/Selection November 18th
- Must have Physical and Report Cards. If NOT in program last year, MUST fill in Online Basketball Application for all levels. (Below *This means ALL Freshmen). Practice times to be announced soon.
- APPLICATION: All student athletes who were NOT IN THE PROGRAM LAST SEASON MUST fill this out in order to participate in the selection try out.
Patriot Basketball Website: Online Application
Attention all Girls NOT playing a Fall Sport who would like to condition for the Franklin Girls Basketball teams. Conditioning will continue EVERY Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm until tryouts in November. If you have any questions see Coach Jimenez in the gym.
If you are interesting in participating in girls tennis for Franklin in the spring, there is an important meeting today, Wed., 10/16, at 2:30pm in the North Cafeteria.
We will be ordering uniforms and the Franklin Tennis Coaches and Club Pro(s) will explain off season tennis play for you that is available. Franklin will be part of a USTA travel team with Dearborn Tennis Club starting right away.
If you cannot attend this meeting, then you can email Coach Clack at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734-945-5762 to answer any questions you may have.