Marumsco Hills Eagle News
Deember 2022 News and Updates
MHES News and Updates
This newsletter will provide parents with updates and events at Marumsco Hills Elementary for December.
December Spirit Days
We look forward to staff and students participating in our December Spirit Days!
December 1: 'Tis the Season: Wear your Red and Green to kickoff our holiday countdown
December 2: MHES Spirit Day: Show off your MHES spirit wear or our school colors.
December 5: Deck the Halls: Wear your favorite holiday accessories (lights, garland, light-up necklaces, etc.)
December 6: Holiday Sock Day: Show off your holiday spirit with a festive pair of socks
December 7: Ho! Ho! Ho!: Wear a holiday hat or headband
December 8: Ugly Sweater: Wear your favorite "ugly" holiday sweater
December 9: Mad About Plaid: Wear plaid flannel shirt, pants, scarf (no pajamas)
December 12: Bundle Up Monday: Wear earmuffs, scarves, vests, boots, etc.
December 13: Winter Wonderland: Wear white or blue to wish for snow
December 14: It's A Wrap: Come wearing bows or wrapping paper
December 15: T'was the Night Before Winter Break: Pajama Day
Attendance is extremely important. We want our students to be in school every day, unless they are sick. Students should arrive to school beginning at 8:45 each day. Students should be in school by 9:00 to avoid being tardy. Students are considered chronically absent when they miss 10 or more days each school year. This included excused and unexcused absences. If a student misses 1 day every month of the school year, they will be considered chronically absent. Please avoid taking trips and vacation during the school year. Thank you for your assistance in ensuring students in class each day.
Welcome to Our New Security Assistant
We are excited to welcome Wayne Schiattareggia, our new security assistant. Wayne will be here every day and is focused on ensuring our building, students, and staff are safe. You will see him outside the building at arrival, throughout the day, and at dismissal. Welcome Wayne!
Art Club will be starting when we return in January, if students want to be a part of the group, they will need to fill out a form and get a parent/guardian signature. Students can get a form from the Ms. Karangelen in the art room.
We will be hosting a Yearbook Cover Design Contest again this year. Forms will be sent home before we leave for Winter Break and all grade levels are invited to participate. 2 winners will be chosen, one for the front and one for the back. Our winners will also receive a free yearbook! Designs are due no later than January 20th.
Instructional Happenings for December
- Non-fiction text features
- Asking and answering questions about what is read
- Making predictions
- Reading high frequency words
- Writing phonetically and with directionality
- Patterns and sorting
- Economics (jobs people do and choices people make with money)
- Events and Re-telling
- Open Syllable Words
- CVCe Words
- Descriptive Writing
- 2-D shapes (Identify, trace, describe, sort, and classify)
- Nonfiction research with Science focus
- Telling time
- Odd and even numbers
- Changes in surroundings
- 3.6 gh - Identify the Main Idea and Detials
- 3.6 f - Summarizing
- 3.2 ab - Identifying Fractions including Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions
- 3.2 c - Comparing Fractions
- 3.9 - Specialization, interdependence, and bartering
- 3.10 - Economic choice and opportunity cost
- 3.4 b - Adaptations may be behavioral or physical
- 3.4 c - Fossils provide evidence about the types of organisms that lived long ago
- Inferences & Drawing Conclusions
- Text Features
- Main Idea & Summarize
- Research and Expository Writing
- Colonial Virginia
- American Revolution
- Multiplication and division
- Continuing to explore nonfiction texts
- Being able to identify main idea and supporting details in nonfiction text
- Identifying text features and text structures
- Drafting informational texts
- Editing and revising informational texts independently and with peers
- Creating a final draft of their informational writing
- Working through perimeter, area and volume
- Be able to tell time and identify elapsed time
- Identify Earth’s processes in regard to energy
- Look at plate tectonics, internal movement of the Earth and the role of rocks on the surface of the planet
- Understanding the geography, climate, natural resources and life today of the Midwest United States
- Understanding the geography, climate, natural resources and life today of the Southwest United States
In November we are continuing our painting units.
- K and 1st are learning basic techniques with professional tools and materials you can find at home.
- 2nd through 5th grades are continuing to mix colors and values to create their own hues.
- Kindergarten and 1st Grade: Review and enhance locomotor movements, underhand rolling, underhand throwing, and catching skills
- 2nd and 3rd Grade: Learn the skills for catching. Practice catching different types of objects at different speeds and levels
- 4th and 5th Grade: Learn about the five health-related fitness components (cardiorespiratory endurance, muscular strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, body composition)
- Students will be working on songs for our holiday sing-along.
- The holiday sing-along will be on Dec 16. Students in grades 1, 2, and 5 will participate from 9:20-10:05. Students in grades 3, 4, and Kindergarten will participate from 2:10-2:55.
Marumsco Hills Elementary School
Location: 14100 Page Street, Woodbridge, VA, USA