News from the Nest
May 14, 2018
The Week Ahead
**Week of 5/14**
Monday 5/14 (Day 4)
- Race for Education Rain Date
- Girls on the Run, 3:30-5 pm
- Incoming Kindergarten Parent Orientation, 6-7 pm. Location: All-Purpose Room
- Last Home & School Meeting of 2017-2018, 7-8 pm. Location: Library.
- NO SCHOOL - Election Day, Teacher in-service
Wednesday 5/16 (Day 1)
- 3rd Grade Field Trip
Thursday 5/17 (Day 2)
- Visiting Author: Michael Patrick O'Neill
- Luau Luncheon served in cafeteria
- Girls on the Run, 3:30-5 pm
Friday 5/18 (Day 3)
- VF Spirit Day - Wear blue and gold or VF spirit wear!
- Field Day (Rain Date: 5/25)
Sunday 5/20 - Girls on the Run 5K Race
May HSA Meeting
We extend a special invitation to the volunteers who have given their time and talents this year so that we can take a moment to thank you for all that you've done.
As a token of our appreciation, we will be serving refreshments and have some door prizes to give out. Hope to see you there!
Race for Education
We are over halfway to our goal of $20,000 with a total of 12,077.00!
The classrooms with the highest number of donations will receive a pizza party. The classes in the lead are:
Kindergarten: Mrs. Fogle's AM class-36 donations
First grade: Mrs. Porco's class- 48 donations
Second grade: Mrs.Moore's class-32 donations
Third grade: Mrs. Edgar's class-29 donations
Fourth grade: Mrs. Ditlow's class- 23 donations
Fifth grade: Mrs. Mandia and Mrs. Donovan's classes- tied with 20 donations
All proceeds from this fundraiser go to assemblies, field trips, technology initiatives, and student and family activities at Vernfield!
IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO DONATE! The website will be open and we will continue to accept mailers until May 28th! Don't forget to reach out to friends and family to help us reach our goal!
Donating is easy!
1. Go to www.race4ed.com/ves.
2. Type in your child's name.
3. Make your donation.
4. Share this website with family and friends via email, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
If you prefer, you can mail or hand out these self-mailers (print 2-sided, if possible) to family, friends and neighbors.
Thank you for your support in making this fundraiser successful! If you have any questions, please contact Jenn Lister at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A huge thank you to all who have donated so far!
Michael specializes in marine wildlife and environmental issues. He lives in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, and for the last 24 years has traveled extensively worldwide photographing diverse aquatic animals, habitats and man’s impact on them.
He has written and photographed seven non-fiction marine life books designed to encourage school children to read, write and become involved in science and conservation.
Students should wear comfortable clothes, bring sunscreen, hats, and a water bottle with their name on it.
Mr. Gross is still looking for volunteers to help run the activities that day. If you are interested in volunteering, please sign up!
Home & School Survey
Save the Date!
**Week of 5/21**
- Special Olympics at SAHS (Rain Date 5/24)
- Instrumental Music Sign up/Assemblies for 3rd and 4th Grades, 10:30-11 am
- OSSP Presentations, Mrs. Gehman's class, 1:30-3 pm
- 1st Grade Author's Tea, Mrs. Case's class, 9:45-10:45 am
- OSSP Presentations, Mrs. Donovan's class, 10:30-12:00 pm
- OSSP Presentations, Mrs. Mandia's class, 1:30-3 pm
- 5th Grade Field Trip
- 1st Grade Author's Tea, Miss Prodorutti's class, 9:45-10:45 am
- 2nd Grade Field Trip
- 1st Grade Author's Tea, Mrs. Porco's class, 9:45-10:45 am
- 1st Grade Author's Tea Mrs. Steffy's class, 12:15-1:15 pm
- Girls on the Run Celebration, 3:30-5 pm
- Last day of EDK
**Week of 5/28**
Monday 5/28 - NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day
- Volunteer Tea, 8-8:30 am
- Buddy Picnic - Mrs. Derro's class
- ABC Parade (morning Kindergarten), 10:30-11:30 am
- ABC Parade (afternoon Kindergarten), 2-3 pm
- 5th Grade Picnic (Rain Date: 6/1)
- 4th Grade Living History Museum, 10:15-11:30 am and 1:30-3 pm
- Race for Education Award Assembly, 2-3 pm
Box Tops Contest RESULTS!
First came in with 2,473, second with 1,835, third with 1,656, fifth grade with 1,453 and Kindergarten with 758.
Congratulations Fourth grade! With the help of your teachers, we will coordinate a prize to help you celebrate your victory! Stay tuned for details!
Book Fair (Chair)
DVD Literacy (Co-chair for scheduling)
First Grade Lunch Helpers (Chair)
Holiday Shop (Co-chair)
Science Rocks (2 Co-chairs)
Sundae Bar and Holiday Luncheon (Chair)
Want some back up? Bring a friend. Co-chair teams welcome!!
Interested? Come to the May 14th HSA Meeting or contact HSA at VFhomeschool@soudertonsd.org