Stoney Creek News
Growing Kind Hearts & Minds While Inspiring Personal Success
From the Principal
Happy Friday to all our families,
Thank you for honoring the hard work of our staff this week. The gifts and cards were a big hit and very appreciated. Also, your children showered me with tons of love on Principal Appreciation Day and my office is still so full of cards, books and sweet treats to last me through the summer J
We are looking forward to our Leadership Day on Tuesday, May 14th, 2019. It is all being planned by students and a couple of staff members. They have worked as a team to be able to share our Habits with our community and parents alike. We would like you to RSVP if you are planning to attend the event. There are several things we will showcase, but it is all student led and planned. Thanks for supporting our leaders.
Our final testing will continue next week, so please make sure your student is getting plenty of rest and a good breakfast before school. We want to show the amazing growth in several areas, so let’s help them be amazing!
As we continue to plan for the upcoming school year, we hope to help our students see their next classroom/teacher/school and with some other transitions. We are also working hard to plan for Professional Development for our staff to stay current with research and strategies as well as what goals we want our kids to reach. Stay tuned for parts of our school improvement plan in our final newsletter. Thanks to all who have joined our REMIND app to get quick updates. You still can join and we will want to send updates over the summer as well. To receive text updates text this message @hkha9b to 81010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, check out the KDL (Kent District Library) summer reading programs now so you are ready to go for the month of June. They are great for ALL kids!
Help us finish strong!
As always, Thank you for sending us your very best!
The Last Day of School is Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 12 noon!
Official News on Last Day of School
We are now able to confirm that the final day of this school year will be Thursday, June 6, 2019.
Wednesday, June 5 – ½ Day of School (dismissal at 12:00 p.m.)
Thursday, June 6 – ½ Day of School, Last Day of School (dismissal at 12:00 p.m.)
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we awaited a final decision from the State of Michigan concerning school calendars.
LEADER IN ME MAY HABIT #6
With spring sports season upon us please be mindful of your child sharing helmets, hats, etc. Make sure everything is labeled with your child's name to avoid the sharing of these items. Here are a few tips to help prevent the spread of lice.
- Encourage your child to not share or trade personal items such as hats, combs, brushes, headbands, barrettes, and helmets.
- Girls with long hair should have their hair braided or pulled back.
- Check your child’s head daily for lice and/or nits.
- Lice eggs appear as small ovals that are glued to the shaft of the hair.
If head lice are found on your child:
- Check others in the household for signs of head lice or nits. If found, complete remaining steps on all individuals.
- Remove nits from the head by combing. This is the most important lice control measure. Complete nit removal is time-consuming but is critical for successful treatment.
- Remove all of the lice and nits from the environment by washing or vacuuming. There is no need to spray pesticides at home.
- Perform daily head checks and remove nits for 3 weeks until head lice are gone. Continue to check your child weekly to detect infestation.
If your child has head lice it should be reported to the school office so the appropriate steps can be taken including cleaning the classroom and lockers. Lice-Freee is one product that is safe to use and chemical free.
14 - PTO Meeting @ Stoney Creek - 7:00 p.m.
15-Kindergarten Field Trip (DeVries/Wabeke & Williams/Imhoff)
16-Kindergarten Field Trip (Reynolds)
20 - Second Grade Field Trip - Freeland/Paparella
21 - Second Grade Field Trip - Johnson
23 - Second Grade Field Trip - Badour/Bredeweg
27 – NO SCHOOL
28 - WATCHDOGS Event at Stoney Creek
29 - First Grade Field Trip Downtown CP
29 - Second Grade Visit to Pine Island
5 – ½ DAY OF SCHOOL
6 – ½ DAY OF SCHOOL, LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
No School - Monday, May 27, 2019
Some key points regarding students and stress for the last weeks of school:
- A lot of our kiddos have a really small tolerance for stress. And everything about school is stressful to them
- In times of stress, their thinking becomes confused and distorted and their short term memory is surprised. This is why they literally cannot answer your questions
- An acting out child is a stressed out child – it’s not about you – but then you get stressed from the acting out and now you’re both stressed
- A defiant child is a scared child
- If I can’t dial down my own brain when I’m stressed, I can’t teach my child how to dial down their own brain
- I need to master how to remain calm – best thing to do is breathe, to keep me in my right brain
- What are three things about school that is stressing out your child – and what are three things you’re doing to make things less stressed?