Career Report By: Calleh Simpson
Personality traits and skills required
- State-mandated training program, drug test, background check, driver's license
- Must be able to listen to and communicate with others
- Successfully manage their own time
Probation officers get very competitive benefits. For example in California, their benefits include:
- Paid vacation
- Sick leave
- Dental and life insurance coverage.
- probation officers require to be on call 24 hours a day.
- Probation departments often are understaffed, and probation officers can feel they have too many clients and not enough time for counseling each one.
Government economists expect jobs for probation officers and correctional treatment specialists to grow about as fast as the average for all occupations through 2020. Job growth for probation officers depends on how much money the government invests in probation and parole systems.Jobs will open up because many of these workers will retire in the next ten years. Openings should outnumber qualified applicants, in part because of the low pay, heavy workload, and high stress of this job.
- http://www.careerinfonet.org/occ_rep.asp?next=occ_rep&Level=&optstatus=111111111&jobfam=29&id=1&nodeid=2&soccode=211092&menuMode=&stfips=27&x=34&y=14 (40sec video)