FIRST GRADE FLASH
GARDEN OF LEARNING-DECEMBER 18TH
Reminders for next week: Please bring wrapped note for your secret elf on Monday. You can include an ornament or candy cane. Please bring ice cream and toppings by Tuesday. Dress in Santa Hats or antlers, red and green for our Holiday Mustang Meeting on Wednesday. We get out at 12:00 on Wednesday...no lunch!
December is the month for Planting Seeds of Giving and Planting Seeds of Kindness. And our class has done just that...
1. We wrote over 200 letters to Shoemaker Staff, for children at Lehigh Valley hospital, for Veterans and for the Daisy Head Mayzie Cast. And for our Secret Elves.
2. We decorated styrofoam cups to give to children and Veterans.
3. Students did kind acts at home to help the GRINCH find his heart. Keep sending them in.
4. Students are bringing in bags of coats, hats, scarves and mittens. One more week to send in a pair of mittens or a hat, scarf or coats.
6. You brought in donations for all of our projects.
7. Students wrote stories about what kindness is...
8. We read about the Kindness Elves and we have been enjoying notes and gifts from our kindness Elf... Kindy Lou
Congrats... we were the TOP FIRST GRADE and collected the most canned foods... 81 cans! We had an ice cream treat as a prize!
The first grades one a prize for getting 3rd place in the Box Top Contest.
We also helped bring in boxes for Operation Christmas Child. The school collected 132 boxes.
We had an exciting week learning about reindeer, making crafts, and making gingerbread houses! A BIG THANK YOU to all our volunteers and for all the donations!
Help! We still need candy canes and boxes of individual hot chocolate packets to give to kids in the hospital and Veterans. Please send in a box of hot chocolate packets or candy canes if you can help us!
Click link below and save this index of past issues and websites in one place. Save it to your favorites.
Look for new pics of ELF DAY, etc.
DIGGING INTO ACADEMICS
We read Tomas Rivera and learned about Family traditions.
We learned about wants and needs.
We worked on chapter 7 about related addition and subtraction.
We had Reindeer Centers and Reindeer Day and learned about Caribou and Reindeer.
We made Gingerbread Houses.
We learned and read about Holiday customs.
We made a Winter craft with Mrs. Kling's 4th grade buddies class.
We will read Silver Packages... a beautiful Christmas story about wants and needs and Christmas wishes.
We will reveal our Secret Elf.
We will have a welcome winter Party and make bird feeders and write snowglobe stories.
We will take our math test on fact families.
We will celebrate and enjoy the Mustang Meeting on Wednesday featuring performances by band, orchestra, dance team and 3rd graders and holiday sing-a-long.
Calendar of Events
December 21st Reveal your Secret Elf
December 22nd Welcome Winter Party
December 23rd Mustang Meeting 9:1January 4th Return to school
TOP TURTLE Jadyn please bring pictures
Shoemaker Science STEM LAB
CHECK OUT THESE SITES TO REINFORCE SKILLS TAUGHT
Please look for the flyer with directions for your child to practice addition facts at home as well as in school. I have showed the students the site but please log on at home to get them more familiar with the site.