Mrs. Tate's Class News
October in 1st Grade!
First graders are working so hard during guided reading and centers. Your support volunteering in our classroom and at home is very appreciated! Thank you for having such fantastic kids!
*My Five Senses: sensory words, compare/contrast (we made a venn diagram!)
*When This Box is Full: asking questions before, during, and after reading, sequencing events from a story, categorizing and classifying
*Pumpkin, Pumpkin: sequencing, word endings (s, ed, ing), visual clues (using pictures to tell a story that words don't, practicing retelling (characters, setting, beginning, middle, and end)
* We used a variety of Halloween stories to discuss and create story maps for: setting, characters, beginning, middle, and end
*We learned about contractions and are working on a contraction pumpkin book. Ask your child about "Super Apostrophe!"
- Counting nickels and pennies (please practice at home!)
- Exchanging pennies for nickels
- Telling and solving number stories
- Playing Penny Nickel Exchange
- Reading and writing number models (2+3=5)
- Telling and showing time to the hour
- playing CoinTop-it
- Please continue to practice counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s!
Social Studies & Science
* Discussed How do we get along in school?
* Cooperation (working in groups to create a place to share.)
* Red Ribbon Week (lessons to stay healthy and safe)
* Discussed What is a Scientist?
* Discussed Doing Science: (I wonder, I Think, I Try, I Observe, I Record, I Discover). Ask your child about our experiment with a crayon!
* Living vs. Non-living
* Explored the question "What is alive?"
* Nature walk with our buddy class to look for signs of living things
We are setting goals as a class that require us to use our grit and perserverance (for example: shoe tying). We continue to discuss possible problems and ways we can work together to find a solution.
Dates that Rate: November 2013
11/6 Early Dismissal (End of marking period.)11/8 Red, White and Blue Day! We will have a Veteran's Day Assembly. Please have your child dress in red, white and blue!
11/15 Picture Retake Day
11/18 Report cards go home
11/22 Bridge Valley Day
11/25 Conferences after school
11/26 Early dismissal - conferences in the afternoon
11/27,11/28,11/29 Thanksgiving Break, no school
Reminders and Requests
Please rememeber to send your child to school with a healthy snack every day.
Thank you for all of your continued support!