Go to rehab today!
What is Cocaine?
Cocaine is a stimulant drug that is very addictive. It is made from the leaves of a coca plant. Cocaine comes in two forms: Powder Cocaine and Crack. Powder Cocaine is a white powder that scientist call hydrochloride salt. Crack is a form of Cocaine that has been processed to make a rock crystal that people smoke.
How does cocaine affect the brain?
Cocaine affects the brain by changing the way how it works by changing the way nerve cells communicate. When used repeatedly, the stimulants change how the brain's dopamine system works.
What are other effects of Cocaine?
The effects of cocaine are...
- Constricted blood vessels and dilated pupils
- Higher body temperature
- Higher blood pressure and faster heartbeat
- Feeling sick to the stomach
- Decreased appetite and, over time, a loss of weight
- Inability to sleep
- Increased risk of heart attack or stroke due to high blood pressure
- Increased risk of HIV because of impaired judgment leading to risky sexual behavior
- Strange, unpredictable behavior, panic attacks, or paranoid psychosis (losing touch with reality)
Can you get addicted?
Yes you can get addicted to cocaine. Brain disorders can follow from using cocaine. Repeated use can lead to addiction. The feeling of being high doesn't last long that's why people keep on using cocaine again.
Can you die from using cocaine?
Yes you can die from using cocaine. In 2014 around 5,000 people died from a cocaine overdose. Males are more likely to die in this way than females. During the year, 3900 males overdose on cocaine while 1500 females overdose on cocaine.
How many teens abuse this drug?
In a lifetime 1.6 8th graders. 2.7 10th graders and 4.0 of 12th graders used cocaine. The past year .9 of teens in 8th grade used cocaine in 8th grade
What should you do if someone needs help?
You must take the person to rehab or call suicide hotline.
what classification does your drug belong in?
The drug belongs in stimulant. The higher the grade the more likely you are going to come in contact with cocaine.