November 26, 2018
Upcoming Spirit Nights
Come out and support Greystone on the following times at the following locations!
Zaxby's: Tuesday, November 27th 4:00-8:00 p.m.
Kendra Scott: Monday, December 3rd 12:00-2:00 p.m.
Camp Wanna-Be-A-Learner Enrichment Week a HUGE Success!
- Ms. Horn and Mrs. Beard and countless volunteers- taught every student how to tie-dye a t-shirt
- Tandy Leather Shop in Hoover- taught students to stamp leather
- Foundry in a Box- Taught students how to melt tin and make their own metal casts for necklaces
- Mrs. Fox- Helped students learn about the 84 million acres of National Parks we own as citizens of the U.S. and recognizing animal tracks they might see while hiking and being in nature
- Coach Rand- Taught all students about archery skills and shooting an arrow
- Bob Mitchell and Bass Pro Shop of Leeds- Taught students about fishing and casting
- Rusted Roof Barn at Oak Mountain State Park- Brought two horses and taught students about them and how to care for them
- Andy Baril from ACES (Alabama A&M and Auburn Cooperative Extension Services)- Taught students about tree identification that they might see on our new hiking trail
- Samford Planetarium- Taught students about the solar system and stars through their mobile planetarium
- Bobby Horton- Came and performed and taught students about songs of the south and some of the historical campfire songs
- Fred Rains and the Birmingham Astronomical Society- Brought telescopes to Family Night and showed students close up views of the moon and stars
- Mrs. Hoit and Coach Rand- Organized and helped students play a schoolwide game of Capture the Flag
- Classroom Teachers- Taught students about wildflowers of Alabama and students created their own out of wire, made mini bows and arrows with the students, talked about the benefits of being out in nature and putting technology down, taught students how to make friendship and gimp bracelets, gave students time in the camp reading room, and made butter with the students and ate it while sharing what they were thankful for this season
We hope you ask your student what their most favorite part of the week was and perhaps continue their learning beyond this week!
Attention Fourth Grade Parents: Visit Our National Parks for FREE
As a part of Enrichment Week, your student learned that they are eligible to go to any National Park for FREE this entire year (2019). Your child should have brought home a pass in their Wednesday folder which details this. They learned about the amazing land our country holds and how to respect it. We hope that you will plan a family trip to visit one of these beautiful parks in 2019!
Lost and Found Reminder!
Follow the PTA
Please like us on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/GreystoneElementaryPTA
Follow us on Instagram at: greystoneelementarypta
PTA SPOTLIGHT: AMANDA WEINER
My name is Amanda Weiner, this is my third year at Greystone Elementary and my second year serving on the PTA Board. My husband Mitch and I have two children at Greystone. Our son Noah is in first grade and our daughter Jordan is in third grade. I teach in the Biology department at UAB, and I am finishing my PhD in Endocrinology.
I, along with Lori Dorn serve as the VP of Programs. Our job is to coordinate teacher related programs at the school such as being a contact point for the room coordinators, supplying cupcakes for teacher birthdays and coordinating the Newcomer’s Coffee. Our main job involves gathering donations and putting together the Teacher Appreciation Luncheon held each Spring.
I’ve found volunteering with the PTA to be a rewarding experience. Despite time limitations as a result of my job, being a part of the PTA has allowed me to become more involved in the school and the Greystone community. I would highly encourage others to take part in opportunities the PTA has to offer!
November 19 - 23 - School Closed for Thanksgiving Holidays
November 27th - Zaxby's Spirit Night - 4:00 - 8:00 pm
November 29th - PTA Board Meeting - 10:30 am (all are invited)
November 30th - Spain Park Holiday Show and BMX Stunt Show for students
November 30th - 3rd Grade to Children's Theater
December 2nd - 4th Grade Skating Party (must be accompanied by an adult) 5:30 - 8:00 pm - This is their reward for the Leave a Legacy Fundraiser
December 3rd - Kendra Scott Spirit Day - 12:00 - 2:00 - Phone orders are welcome - tell them you are with Greystone
December 5th - School Spelling Bee - 8:30 am
December 6th - Jumpin' Jags perform at Berry Basketball games - 4:30 - 6:45 pm
December 13th - Kindergarten Winter Program - 6:00 pm
Kindergarten - December 18th 9:45 (Goodwin/Carns), 12:30 (Lamb/Cvacho)
1st Grade - December 19 - 8:30 am
2nd Grade - December 17 - 9:00 am
3rd Grade - December 19 - 9:15 am
4th Grade - December 14 - 10:00 am
5th Grade - December 20 - 8:30 am
December 20th - Early Dismissal - 11:15 am
Winter Holidays - December 21st - January 6th
School Resumes - Monday, January 7th
Click Here for the 2018-2019 Hoover City Schools Calendar
Our Greystone Motto
Learn - Lead - Leave a Legacy
Our Greystone Mission
As a school community, we empower learners, inspire leaders, and encourage all children to reach their potential.
Our Greystone Vision
Empowering a generation of learners and leaders to leave a legacy.