October 14th, 2016
Mrs. Jackson's Pre-K Newsletter
We Are "FALL"ing Into Learning!
What did we do this week?
- "Erase Me Rhyme"- We drew a person and read and listened to phrases to help us rhyme the body part we needed to erase until he was all gone! ex. "Oh, dear, Oh dear, there's a bee near my ear!"
- "Nonsense Sentences"- Students had a blast making sentences that used words beginning with the same letter sound! ex. "Bobby bounces big blue basketballs!"
- "Just Beat It"- Yes, one student recognized the name of this activity as one of Michael Jackson's songs...was it your little one? ;o) We worked on counting syllables by passing around the drum and pulling out a name to beat the syllables of!
- "Syllable Shopping"- Today we went shopping for more syllables! Students got to choose a fruit or vegetable from our food baskets and we all counted the syllables of the foods and placed them in that number basket! We counted 1-3 syllables and even our only 4 syllable food, cauliflower!
- "The Sounds In the Word"- We sing this activity to the tune of The Wheels on the Bus and read 3 letter words like bus, bag, tag, top, big, zip, zap, cup, etc. You can try it at home, too! "The sounds in the word go b-u-s, b-u-s, b-u-s, The sounds in the word go b-u-s, Can you read the word? Bus!"
- "Baggy Books"- If you haven't seen your child's baggy book, be on the look out! We have had 2 groups complete their baggy books and they are eager to bring them home and have you help read the books they wrote and illustrated!
- "Coffee Filter Apples"- We are creating some beautiful apples by coloring on coffee filters and spritzing with water to see the fall colors blend beautifully! These will be turned into gorgeous apple sun catchers for our windows next week!
- Mat Man- We are enjoying learning more about how lines and curves make all the letters! During our small groups we have an independent group working on building Mat Man with our lines and curves!
*Some students may not have experienced each of these activities yet. Some of our small groups continue into the following week as we rotate!
Fire Safety Week
- STOP, DROP, COVER (your face), and ROLL!
- GET OUT! STAY OUT! (Never go back in for ANYTHING!)
- Firefighters and Police are your friends and here to help!
- Call 9-1-1 if there is an emergency! Does your child know how to do this? (home phone, cell phones....)
- Practice a Home Fire Drill! Stay low and know how to get outside from all rooms, levels of your home!
New class pets!
These cool caterpillars came from the nursery right down the road, Nearly Native Nursery! Mr. Jim donated them for us to enjoy! If you get a chance to take your children there and see all their beautiful plants, let him know we sent you and thank him and Mrs. Debbie for sharing these with our class! They have beautiful native plants and tons of information to share!
Mobile farm visit
Book Cooks Next Friday!
Ready 4K Texts!
Thousands of parents across the state signed up last year to receive text message reminders, in both English and Spanish, to help prepare their 4- and 5-year-olds for success in kindergarten.
This evidence-based program is available again, for families of pre-K and kindergarten students. This year, the partners are also adding text messages tailored to support parents of 3-year-olds, providing tips, facts, resources, and regular reminders of how they can excel in their role as their child’s first and most important teacher.
Once a family enrolls, they receive three short text messages each week: one highlighting an important literacy skill like rhyming or letter recognition, a second with an easy activity that parents can do with their children to develop that skill, and a third with suggestions about how to continue nurturing growth in that area.
Recent studies have found that this type of “nudging” text messages are effective in increasing parental engagement in home literacy activities and with children’s schools, resulting in measurable progress by children whose parents are enrolled.
A recent New York Times article also explored the potential of literacy-focused messages to reduce education disparities between children from low- and higher-income households.
Help us spread the word about this great free resource by sharing it with your network and community.
**I signed up for these texts last year and have really enjoyed the fun activities and bits of information they provide! I hope you will, too!
- Preemie & 0-3 month baby clothing!
- Tuesday, October 18th: Chick-fil-A Spirit Night!
- Wednesday, October 19th: PTO Meeting 9:30am
- Friday, October 21st: Book Cooks 9:00-10:00am
- Friday, October 21st: Last day to sign up for Turkey Trot and get cool shirt!
- Week of October 24th-28th: Red Ribbon Week (more info to come)
- Friday, October 28th: Costume Parade/Special Snack (more info to come)
- Monday, October 31st: Mobile Farm Visit!