Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of Dec. 13-Dec. 19
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
God Helps Joseph Forgive
When is it hard to forgive?
Joseph was seventeen years old when his brothers sold him into slavery. God granted him success in all he did as a servant to Potiphar in Egypt. Then, he was falsely accused and thrown into prison. Still, God was with him, and the jail keeper put him in charge of all the other prisoners. But it wasn’t until Joseph was thirty years old that he was freed from prison and made second-in-command after he interpreted Pharaoh’s dreams. All that God had prophesied about plenty and famine came to pass. Joseph was in charge of selling grain to people from all over who came to Egypt to buy grain because of the famine. Jacob heard about the grain in Egypt and sent ten of his sons to buy some so they would not starve. When they arrived, they did not recognize Joseph, but he recognized them at once. What would Joseph do?
Dear Lord, heavenly Father, You are the God of all love and forgiveness. Thank You for bringing us together today to learn of the great love and forgiveness You have for us. Guide us today. In Your name we pray. Amen.
Bible Lesson: God Works Good for Joseph
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) Genesis 42:1–28; 43:11–30; 45:1–15 OR
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- Did Joseph’s brothers deserve to be forgiven? Do we deserve to be forgiven?
- How was Joseph able to forgive his brothers?
- The Lord’s Prayer says, “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Who helps us forgive?
Joseph’s brothers had hurt him and his father when they sold Joseph as a slave. They didn’t deserve forgiveness, and neither do we. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23).
Joseph was able to forgive his brothers because God helped him to forgive. God helped Joseph trust Him and believe that God had a plan for his life.
We cannot forgive on our own. The Holy Spirit helps us to forgive. We are able to forgive others because Jesus has forgiven us.
[Forgive] one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32
Download a page of activities and crafts.
Download a coloring page.
The Lord's Prayer
Dear Jesus, thank You for dying for our sins and rising again that we may have new life with You. Thank You for the precious gift of forgiveness. Help us to share the forgiveness You give us with others. In Your name we pray. Amen.
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment