November 9, 2023
FALL BOOK FAIR GOING ON NOW!
Our Literati “Crack the Case!” Book Fair will continue to be open Thursday, November 9th from 8:10 a.m.-3:00 p.m.* There will also be an evening sale on Thursday, November 9th from 4:30-7:00 p.m. to accompany Family Art & Science Night. Family Art & Science Night is from 4:30-6:30 p.m.
*Only students accompanied by parents may shop in the Book Fair from 8:10-8:30 a.m. The Book Fair is open to students shopping independently after our Morning Announcements.
Please note that our vendor, Literati, does not provide cashiers or assist with our Book Fair. We appreciate your patience as our library volunteers and staff work to create a wonderful experience for your child.
You can visit our school’s Book Fair Homepage at Literati Book Fairs. Click the “Shop Online Fairs” button to purchase digital gift cards or order books online.
Proceeds from past Book Fairs have been used to purchase books, fund author/illustrator visits, fund reading incentive programs, purchase library furniture, instructional materials, and technology. Thank you for supporting the OKE Library!
OKE PTA MEMBERSHIP: 100% = POPSICLES FOR STUDENTS
OKE PTA is working hard to meet the goal of 100% PTA membership for the 2023-2024 school year before Thanksgiving break. We are currently at 86%.
If we reach 100% by Friday, November 17th, PTA will have a special popsicle celebration for all students in the near future.
PTA dues are only $11.00 per person (a portion going to Texas and National PTA).
WHO CAN JOIN?
Anyone that wants to support your child's school (Parents, Grandparents, Community Members)
Thank you in advance for your support :)
FAMILY ART & SCIENCE NIGHT
LUNCH VISITOR UPDATE WEEK OF NOVEMBER 13-17
Please note that OKE will not have lunch visitors on Monday, November 13 (regularly scheduled day), Tuesday, November 14, or Friday, November 17 due to special events in the Outback.
Our doors open at 8:10 a.m. We recommend having our Koalas in by 8:20 a.m. This has been a great help in making sure they are ready to learn when the school day begins promptly at 8:30 a.m. Please have your child ready to exit the car when you are in position to unload. Your child is encouraged to exit on his/her own, if capable. Please do not drop your children off prior to 8:10 a.m. as there will be no adults on duty to supervise before that time.
New this year: If your student arrives at school at 8:30 a.m. or later, you will need to park and escort your child into the front office to sign him/her in. A tardy sign will be placed in the car rider drop-off line each morning promptly at 8:30 a.m. We appreciate your assistance with getting your student to school on time each day.
ATTEND TODAY, ACHIEVE TOMRROW!
Missing a day of school here and there may not seem like much, but absences add up!
- Students are considered tardy if they are not in class when the 8:30 a.m. bell rings.
- Students are counted absent if they are not in attendance at school by 9:55 a.m.
- A parent or guardian should notify the school when a student is absent for any reason.
- Students need to bring a doctor's note in order to have their absence excused for a healthcare appointment of any kind.
- Students must be in attendance 90% of the school year or retention is considered by the Attendance Review Committee.
Check out this past week's attendance:
Thursday, November 2 - 96.80%
Friday, November 3 - Student Holiday
Monday, November 6 - 96.02%
Tuesday, November 7 - 96.02%
FALL PARTY RAPTOR RSVP
This is a full instructional day and not an early release. Siblings and younger children are NOT permitted to attend.
ECSE - 9:00-9:45 a.m.
5th Grade - 8:40-9:30 a.m.
3rd Grade - 9:35-10:25 a.m.
4th Grade - 10:30-11:20 a.m.
Pre-K - 11:20 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
2nd Grade - 12:00-12:50 p.m.
Kinder - 12:55-1:45 p.m.
1st Grade - 1:50-2:40 p.m.
"ANXIOUS KIDS, ANXIOUS PARENTS" BOOK STUDY
4TH GRADE MUSICAL
4th Grade Parents:
The 4th grade musical is coming soon! We perform on Tuesday, November 14th. We will perform at 9:30 a.m., 2:00 p.m., and 6:00 p.m. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. for the 6:00 p.m. performance. We are sending home a paper with more information this week as well. If you have not purchased your student’s musical shirt, please send $13 cash or check made out to OKE in a sealed envelope with your student’s name, homeroom, and 4th grade musical. The 4th graders have been working so hard on their musical and you are going to be amazed by their performance!
PBIS IN THE OUTBACK
A 2nd grade student used her koala cash to buy a day with the koala.
KILPATRICK BIRTHDAY BOOK CLUB
OKE BIRTHDAY MARQUEE REQUEST
WINTER SPIRIT WEAR ON SALE NOW
LIBRARY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
The Kilpatrick Library is in need of library volunteers. We prefer our volunteers to commit to one hour per week on a regular basis.
The library currently needs one or two volunteers first thing in the morning: 8:10 a.m. to
The duties would include helping students locate and choose books, checking books in and out to students, shelving books, keeping the library organized, and more.
Library volunteers allow Kilpatrick to keep the library opened for circulation all day long. With library volunteers we are able to offer more library activities and programs.
If you would like to volunteer, please email:
Sharon Audelo, Librarian
Prudence Johnson Library Aide
MISC. PTA FORMS & LINKS
Thursday, November 9
- Rotation Day 2
- Fall Book Fair
- Family Art & Science Night - 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- Evening Book Fair - 4:30-7:00 p.m.
Friday, November 10
- Rotation Day 3
- Watch DOGS
- Kinder Field Trip to Dewberry Farms
Monday, November 13
- No Lunch Visitors
- Rotation Day 4
- Cook Learn Grow - 3:45-4:45 p.m.
Tuesday, November 14
- No Lunch Visitors
- Rotation Day 1
- Progress Reports in HAC
- 4th Grade Musical - 9:30 a.m., 2:00 p.m. & 6:00 p.m. (Gym)
Wednesday, November 15
- Rotation Day 2
- Watch DOGS
- EureKa! (2nd Grade)
- Student Council Field Trip - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday, November 16
- Rotation Day 3
- "Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents" Book Study - 9:00 a.m.
- Read Deed Run - 3:40-4:30 p.m.
Friday, November 17
- No Lunch Visitors
- No Specials
- Watch DOGS
- Fall Parties
- Spirit Day
CAR RIDER REMINDERS
Here are a few friendly reminders that we would like to share about the car rider line at arrival and dismissal times. Our school doors open at 8:10 a.m. and the tardy bell rings at 8:30 a.m. Students need to be seated in their homeroom classes by 8:30 a.m. Students arriving after 8:30 a.m. will receive a tardy slip from the front office. Please allow sufficient time so that your student can be ready and in place for school each day.
Dismissal for students begins at 3:40 p.m. Please make sure you are in the car rider line by that time. If you arrive after 3:55 p.m. when our staff members have finished taking down car tag numbers, you will need to park and come into the building with your ID to pick up your student(s). Late arrivals are documented and monitored.
Some helpful tips for creating a safe and smooth running environment during car rider arrival and dismissal:
- Please refrain from parking in front of the school and walking across the car rider line during arrival/dismissal to drop student(s) off at the front door or to pick them up from the front door. If you would like to walk to the front, you will need to come as a walker in the morning and/or park your car off campus and cross at the crosswalk.
- Please remain in your car at all times during arrival and dismissal. We have adults and eventually safety patrol students that are happy to assist your student(s) getting in and out of the car. Students should exit the door on the passenger side of the vehicle only.
- Please make sure you are remaining in the right lane the entire time. We should only have one lane of traffic flowing. The 2nd lane should not be utilized during arrival or dismissal. This lane is for emergency personnel only.
- Please keep your car rider tag displayed throughout the car rider line until you have your student(s) in your vehicle with you.
- Parents picking students up through the car rider line must enter the line at the END of the line, which forms on Gaston Road, north of Cinco Ranch Blvd.
Telecommunication devices are defined as items such as, but not limited to, cell phones, smart phones, smart watches, electronic readers, and laptops with the capability of sending and receiving messages or information, and any related accessories (including but not limited to wires, headphones, and ear clips).
Elementary students in Pre-K, K, and 1st grade shall not possess a telecommunication device during the instructional day (8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.), while riding to/from school on District transportations, during tutorials or detention, or while participating in a school-sponsored extracurricular activity on or off school property. For example, an elementary student performing at a PTA meeting or on a field trip to the zoo may not be in possession of a telecommunication device; however, an elementary student could possess a telecommunication device at an event open to the public (in which the student is not performing) such as at a carnival or a sporting event.
Elementary students in grades 2-5 may possess telecommunication devices; however, these devices are only to be used for instructional purposes under the direction of a teacher. These devices should be turned off and not visible at all times during the school day on school property, including on school transportation.
Students who bring devices from home will be asked to keep them in their backpacks shut off unless directed by the teacher to be used for instructional purposes.
VOLUNTEERS & RAPTOR REGISTRATION
Katy ISD requires all volunteers serving on or off-campus during or after the instructional day to register with the district through its Raptor security system.
Once registered and approved, individual volunteers can:
· Sign up as a campus volunteer by completing the volunteer recruitment form provided by your campus organization(s) or contact your campus volunteer coordinator.
· Submit and track hours via their volunteer profile for every Katy ISD campus at which they volunteer
· The system also provides quick and easy submission of individual off-campus volunteer hours
KISD HEALTH SERVICES
All students enrolled in Katy ISD must be in compliance with state required immunizations. Immunization requirements can be found on the Katy ISD Health Services Immunizations page.
Texas Vaccine Institute will be offering the following dates and times for any student enrolled in Katy ISD, insured or uninsured, to receive the necessary required immunizations for school entry:
DATES: November 2, 2023
TIMES: 2:00PM – 5:00PM
LOCATION: Professional Development Annex
6361 South Stadium Lane Katy, TX 77494
NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
COST: 1 VACCINE $15
2 VACCINES $25
3 VACCINES OR MORE $30
Accepting credit/debit cards or cash
BRING: Personal immunization record and insurance card if you have insurance.
Parent Notification of Immunization Due form completed by your campus nurse.
For additional information you may contact the Health Services Department at 281-396-2629.