The Paw Print
Weekly Principal Newsletter ~ Week of January 10th
Happy New Year!
Welcome back and Happy New Year!
I want to sincerely thank each of you for your continued partnership with us! This past week has been quite busy due to the county and statewide surge in Covid cases. Your patience, understanding and willingness to follow the protocols we must implement is so greatly appreciated! As I will continue to share, Brookhaven really is a special community and your love for our school is a huge part of the reason why.
I want to assure that our entire Brookhaven team is diligently following all protocols to provide the safest and healthiest environment possible. You can continue to play a large role in this as well by continuing the daily "shared decision" symptom screening and sending your child to school only when he or she is healthy. If your student has symptoms, has been exposed to a positive person, is positive themselves, or is awaiting test results, they should remain at home. As you have, please continue to call the attendance line and leave a detailed message regarding your child's absence. Lastly, please know that our office staff is following the protocols in place regarding student return dates and quarantine timelines and your cooperation and understanding is greatly noticed and appreciated!
Transitional Kindergarten Information
School Choice Applications
If you currently have a Choice Transfer to Brookhaven, it will take you all the way through eighth grade at Tuffree MS. You do not need to reapply yearly.
6th Grade Parent Night at Tuffree
Dear Parent of a Sixth Grade GATE Student:
Tuffree will be hosting a virtual GATE/Honors Parent Informational night on Tuesday, January 18th from 6:00 to 7:00pm. You will meet Tuffree’s GATE/Honors teachers and learn more about Tuffree's GATE/Honors program. Here's the link to the flyer with the Zoom link to join.
Estimado padre de un estudiante del programa GATE de sexto grado:
Tuffree organizará una noche virtual de información para padres de GATE / Honores el martes 18 de enero de 6:00 a 7:00 pm. Conocerás a los maestros GATE / Honors de Tuffree y aprenderás más sobre el programa GATE / Honors de Tuffree. Aquí está el enlace al volante con el enlace de Zoom para unirse.
Here is the Tuffree website for more information.
Upcoming Events and Calendar
- January 5th ~ February 11th ~ CHOICE TRANSFER WINDOW IS OPEN
- January 10th ~ PTA Mtg, 7 pm in the MPR
- January 17th ~ MLK Jr Holiday - No School
Brookhaven PTA News
We continue to thank our PTA Board and ALL our parent volunteers that make our school such a great place for our kids to learn and grow!
- Please click here to join our fabulous PTA! Brookhaven PTA membership is open to everyone ~ students, parents, grandparents, alumni and supporters. Your membership helps fund school assemblies, book fairs, field trip transportation, classroom supplies, library books and more!
We are very fortunate to have a dedicated, hardworking and generous PTA at Brookhaven! We have a new PTA President this year, Mrs. Traci Larson! If you are interested in being a part of our PTA and committees throughout the year, please get in touch with Traci here: email@example.com
Attendance and Health Reminders
- School starts at 7:50 each day and students are expected to be on their assigned playground by 7:45 am. We close the gates promptly at 7:50 am each day. Students arriving after that time will need to go through the office to check in prior to going to their classroom and will be marked tardy. Please plan accordingly each morning to ensure that students arrive on time, no later than 7:45 am, ready to learn. As a reminder, the gates open at 7:35 each morning.
- Students should have all of the materials necessary for each day including homework, lunches, water bottles and, if applicable, their musical instrument. Students are learning about responsibility and accountability when it comes to these items, so we encourage parents to NOT drop off forgotten items. All students are able to receive a school lunch for free; they just need to order one with the daily lunch count. If homework or instruments are forgotten, it is a valuable lesson learned for students that, typically, doesn't happen again.
- If your child is sick or has symptoms of Covid, they should not attend school
- You must call the school attendance line to report all absences
- Please leave specific details of your child's symptoms and we'll notify you of their return date
- Please review the Student Symptom Tree to help guide you with questions regarding Covid symptoms and next steps
Thank you for wearing your mask each time you enter the school office or any school building. We appreciate everyone's diligence in completing the daily "Shared Responsibility" in checking for symptoms and keeping students home when they are ill. Together we'll make it through the year in keeping everyone healthy and well. Being back together in person is so wonderful!
Free Online Reading Resource for CA Families
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond announced a partnership with Renaissance that will provide unlimited access to myON digital books and daily news articles for all pre-K to grade twelve students in California from December 1, 2021, through January 31, 2022.
This initiative aims to give students The Gift of Literacy during the winter break by providing opportunities to engage in reading at home, at school, and in the community.
Click here to read the letter to families on how to register for online access to this free reading resource!
On-Going Mitigating Measures
- Shared Responsibility Symptom Screening should be done daily prior to the arrival of school. If your child has COVID symptoms, they must stay home.
- Everyone will wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are optional outdoors.
- Handwashing stations are located around campus and hand sanitizer is located at the entrance of every classroom.
- Good hygiene habits will be taught and encouraged.
Helpful and Important Links
Online Data Confirmation ~ This MUST be updated for all students.