Digital Learning Academy Newsletter
Back to School - August 2021
Welcome Trail Blazer Families!!
We are so very excited for our inaugural year and happy that you have chosen to be part of the Trail Blazer family. Please see the FAQ below for important DLA information as well as the information regarding Open House. Be sure to scroll through the entire newsletter.
Wishing you well,
This newsletter is live, so please check back for updated information or additional items.
Important Dates to Remember
- Friday, July 30, 2021 - Virtual Open House
- August 2, 2021 - First day of school!
- August 10 - LESD Governing Board Meeting - https://www.youtube.com/user/LESD79
- Friday, September 3, 2021 - District Full Day Inservice - No School
- Monday, September 6, 2021 - Labor Day - No School
Last year our online learning model was an option born out of COVID-19 and the state and federal government allowed for a great deal of flexibility. This year, DLA is it's own school and will operate under federal and state Statue and district policy and will have systems that are similar to brick and mortar schools. Please see the updated DLA Program Guide (link below) for expectations and information.
When will I know my child's homeroom teacher?
- As always, there is a great deal of student movement in the weeks prior to school starting. You will receive an email from your child's homeroom teacher the week of July 26, 2021.
Where can I find information about DLA?
- Click on the links below the FAQs; those will take you directly to our webpage.
What if I need additional information that isn't included on the webpage?
- Please call our office at 623-547-4000
What device should I purchase for my child?
- Laptop devices work best for students who are online learners. When using an Amazon tablet or iPad, students do not have access to the websites but rather have to download the apps. Apps do not necessarily look or perform the way a website does.
How can I check out a Chromebook for my child?
- We have a limited supply of Chromebooks to lend to families. In the program guide, it states that families are responsible for providing a computer for their child if they choose to send them to the DLA. We will lend chrome books to those families who are in greatest need. If you are a family in need of devices, please call our office at 623-547-4000 to be placed on a list. You will be notified when the pick up will take place. More information will be sent out in the next few weeks regarding purchasing insurance for the Chromebook.
Do I need ParentVue this year?
- Yes! Our progress reports and report cards can only be accessed by parents logging into ParentVue. You will also be able to see your child's attendance in ParentVue. You can get set up with ParentVue by contacting our office at 623-547-4000.
Where do I find my child's supply list?
- Please see link below FAQs.
What is the best form of communication with my child's teacher and the principal?
- Email. Because we are an online school, we use email as our main form of communication. We are happy to schedule a voice or virtual call with parents as well.
Will I need to pick up materials for my child?
- Yes there will be materials pick up scheduled for items that the district will provide your child. You will be notified in advanced and have a window in which to pick the items up from a campus. More information to come.
Are there still meals for my child?
- The federal government has extended free breakfast and lunch for students who are attending school online for one more year ONLY. Breakfast and lunch will need to be ordered in advance and picked up at one of our centrally located schools. Please come back for more information as it becomes available.
Is my child required to attend classes everyday?
- Yes! Attendance will be taken each period. By Arizona state statue, if students are not attending all classes they are subject to being removed from DLA and placed in a brick and mortar school.
What if I want to move back to brick and mortar?
- We will be making movements in/out of DLA at the end of each quarter for families entering and exiting DLA who are staying in the district.
Meals for DLA Students
Students enrolled in our District's Distance Learning Academy and community members 18 years of age and younger who are NOT otherwise receiving meals from a school food program are eligible for 5-Day Box Meals. The order form below will need to be completed and submitted no later than 10:00 AM every Monday for the following week's meals. Pick-up will be every Monday, 7:00 AM - 7:30 AM from Mabel Padgett Elementary School (15430 W. Turney Avenue, Goodyear, AZ 85395).
Los estudiantes inscritos en la Academia de Aprendizaje a Distancia de nuestro Distrito y los miembros de la comunidad de 18 años de edad o menos que NO reciban comidas de un programa de alimentos escolares son elegibles para las Comidas en Caja de 5 días. El formulario deberá completarse y enviarse a más tardar a las 10:00 a.m. todos los lunes para poder recibir las comidas de la semana siguiente. Podra recoger todos los lunes, de 7:00 a.m. A 7:30 a.m. En la escuela primaria Mabel Padgett (15430 W. Turney Avenue, Goodyear, AZ 85395).
Use this button to submit a help ticket for technology support.