Turner's Digital Dashboard
Manor ISD's Texas Literacy Initiative E-News
The Top 5 Literacy Updates
Happy Monday CBLTs,
The end of our semester in Project Share is approaching us very swiftly. I don't know about you, but so far, I have thoroughly enjoyed the work and rich discussion that is occurring weekly. I've learned a great deal about the RtI Framework and what that looks and sounds like for Manor ISD. Here are some things to consider as you meet with your teams on this week:
- For the next two weeks, all age/grade levels will work on Action Step E6. Your site/campus-based leadership team has until December 1, to submit your E6 Assignment and complete the quiz. This action step is about Empowering families and students to participate in the literacy development process.
- Don't forget to take time to check out all of the information in the LEARN MORE sections. There are so many great articles that you can read that will offer great insight and new ideas on how to empower parents and students.
- Identify areas of need for staff PD related to communicating with families and empowering families to participate in literacy development.
- Identify possible instructional resources to provide to families who participate in literacy development, and develop a plan for filling gaps in those resources.
- Evaluate systems that may already be in place for involving students in setting and tracking their own literacy goals, and develop a plan for increasing student involvement.
What's Coming Up?
Once we return from the Thanksgiving Holiday break, I will be sending all CBLT's a checklist of items that will need to be submitted to the TLI office. This checklist will include all required binder contents. Your team will also be provided with an online evaluation that will be completed collectively as a team. Your responses in this evaluation will be used to help drive some of our district RTI initiatives. Once the coursework ends, your CBLT will have until December 13 to submit all required documents to the TLI team. So please, mark this day on your calendar.
In January, TLI will host a Data Informed Plan (DIP) training for one representative per campus. The purpose of this meeting will be to discuss how to update the Data Informed Plans. Date to be determined later.
The 2014 TLI Summit & Institute Participants & Focus
The 2014 Summit will be a one - day session and will focus on the district's role in implementing a Texas State Literacy Plan (TSLP) Action Step. Some of the highlights of the Summit are listed below. The only individuals that are required to attend the Summit will be the Manor ISD District Grant Implementation Team members.
The 2014 TLI Institute will be a two-day session, that will be held the days following the Summit. It is open to site/campus leadership teams and the district team. The 2014 Institute will focus on effective instruction for writing and effective instruction for diverse learners, which includes the following groups:
- Students served by special education
- Students served by free and/or reduced lunch
This year's Institute is only open to a certain number of participants from each district. Our district is only allotted 28 slots, and the TLI Team has already identified the members of our learning community that are required to attend. Please note: CBLT members who are not selected as participants for the Institute, will still receive the extra duty pay if they have completed all other TLI grant requirements as outlined in the Commitment Agreement.
MCDC: Stacy Signaigo
CWLC: Mary Jimenez
BME: Vikki McCoin & Chandria Ridgeway
BTE: Dominique Washington & Terri McDonald
DES: Ellen Willoughby & Seth Herrington
MES: Malaki Hawkins & Natalie Weber
OME: Alejandro Gongora & Katie McClure
PCE: Ryan Marcum & Terri McDonald
PME: Tara Bowens Brown & Natalie Weber
DMS: Angel Deluna & Josalyn Robinson
MMS: Davin Vogler & Kristin Riley-Freeborn
MHS: Lauren Shofner & Amanda Gripp
MNTHS: Stephanie Ehler
MEA: Jennifer Thompson
CO: Muya Hayes, Emily Rivera, Alex Carrillo, Felicia Turner, Colleen Stearns, & Laurie Fay
TLI Summer Institute
Tuesday, June 24th, 12pm to Thursday, June 26th, 5pm
Food for Thought
“Parents do not feel like partners in the relationship when staff members see themselves as having all the knowledge and insight about children and view parents as lacking such knowledge” (National Association for the Education of Young Children, 2009, p. 23).
District Grant Implementation Team
Amelia Brown, Accounts Payable, email@example.com
Alex Carrillo, Elementary Literacy Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Laurie Fay, Grant Coordinator, email@example.com
Muya Hayes, Early Childhood & Family Literacy Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Colleen Stearns, Secondary Literacy Coordinator, email@example.com
Felicia Turner, Literacy Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org