Smith's Knightly News
MARCH 11, 2023
Smith Middle School
Mission: The purpose of Smith Middle School is to ensure learning for all members of our school community.
Vision: Smith will be a safe environment where diversity is embraced, and the needs of the whole child are met through innovation and collaboration. With the resources available, the Smith community will strive to provide an engaging, challenging academic experience, while promoting a balance between emotional, academic, and social needs, contributing to the success of all students.
SMITH VIP LUNCH
FESTIVAL OF CULTURES
All families are invited to join us on the evening of March 21, from 6:00 - 8:00pm!
MARCH IS READING MONTH!
REGIONAL FINALS TOURNAMENT
We are excited to host the Regional Finals Tournament for the National History Bee, National Science Bee, and International Geography Bee here at Smith on April 15th. All students took a qualifying exam in their social studies classes in December or January. We are proud to say we have a tremendous number of qualifiers eligible to participate in the regional tournament. Students were notified if they qualified through their social studies class. We are looking forward to a great turnout as we are hosting the event for the 2nd year in a row here at Smith. It is now time to register if you would like to participate. Please see the letter with registration details.
8TH GRADE SCHEDULING
6th & 7th GRADE SCHEDULING
Scheduling for the 2023-24 school year has begun! Smith Middle School Counselors visited current 6th and 7th grade classrooms this week to review the online scheduling process and electives available for the 2023-24 school year. Parents/Guardians will need to complete the online registration process with their student in the PowerSchool Parent Portal between Wednesday, March 8th and Friday, March 17th.
Please use the document below for instructions on setting up your Parent Portal, viewing 7th or 8th Grade elective descriptions and guides, and registration instructions.
Any questions regarding scheduling for the 2023-24 School Year can be directed to your student’s counselor:
Mrs. Hartenburg: Last name A-L
Mr. Denyes: Last Name M – Z
8TH GRADE FIELD TRIP
8TH GRADE PROMOTION
Smith Bands are proud to have had TEN 7th & 8th grade band members accepted into the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Honors Band! They had the privilege of rehearsing and performing on the very stage of our famous Detroit Symphony Orchestra!
Congrats Smith Band Members!
CONGRATULATIONS to Smith's Science Olympiad Team:
Congratulations on a great job done and for representing your Smith knights.
The following students participated in the competition on Saturday, 4th March at Detroit Country Day:
1. Aarav Sheth - 7th Grade
2. Aarushi Patel - 7th Grade
3. Aashin Patel - 7th Grade
4. Advay Pradhan - 6th Grade
5. Ailina Zhou - 6th Grade
6. Alekhya Lala - 7th Grade
7. Divishka Nimesh - 6th Grade
These students ranked in the individual events along with their team partners and received medals:
- Anatomy & Physiology - 2nd rank - Aarav Sheth & Alekhya Lala
- Can’t judge a Powder - 6th rank - Ailina Zhou & Alekhya Lala
- Dynamic Planet - 7th rank - Aarav Sheth & Aashin Patel
- Experimental Design - 6th rank - Aarav Sheth, Aarushi Patel & Aashin Patel
- Fast Facts - 6th rank - Advay Pradhan & Divishka Nimesh
- Meteorology - 6th rank - Advay Pradhan & Divishka Nimesh
- Rocks & Minerals - 5th rank - Aarav Sheth & Aarushi Patel
- Roller Coaster - 5th rank - Advay Pradhan & Divishka Nimesh
- Storm the Castle - 5th rank - Advay Pradhan & Divishka Nimesh
SCHOOL SALES AND FUNDRAISERS
LUNCH DELIVERY REMINDER
EARLY PICK-UP REMINDER
Please take a moment to review the drop-off / pick-up map below. We are seeing some specific issues in the parking lot that we want to bring to your attention.
- The middle lane is for drop-off / pick-up only. Please do not park in that row. Pulling in and out of the parking spots is slowing down drop-off and creating dangerous situations for students and vehicles.
- If you are going to park your car for drop-off / pick-up, please use the third row of parking spots highlighted in below in blue.
- Please do not drop students off at the Martell/Cotswold intersection.
Thank you for your continued patience and attention to safety as we have over 600 students entering and exiting our school every day!
We have a great online spirit wear store with a number of new modern styles and items for purchase. You can either pick them up or utilize the option of having your orders delivered directly to your home for a small fee.
Click on the link below to check out the wide variety of styles and prints.
Below is a sample of the logo choices for most items...
Smith Middle School Twitter - @SMITHKNIGHTS
Feel free to follow the great things happening at Smith Middle School on Twitter. We often share pictures from our school day, highlight student work and classroom activities, and celebrations.