Pirate Cove Connection
PES Media Center News - January 2018
Warm Up with a Good Book
We Have New Media Bags - Please use them and bring them to media classes.
A Wrinkle In Time Challenge for 3rd-5th Grade
Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! January 22-26 - Find Yourself in a Book
Monday: Magazine Monday - students will read magazines during independent reading time
Tuesday: Hunt Down a Good Book - wear your camouflage clothes
Wednesday: Wear Words - wear clothes with words on them
Thursday: Buddy Reading Day - intermediate classes will read with primary classes
Friday: Flashlight Friday – bring a flashlight and read
What will we be learning in media this month?
- Reading Resolutions and our Media Center Reading Survey
- New Year Customs with Brain Pop
- Accelerated Reader - what are goals and how can I check my progress in order to set my reading resolutions
- Pete the Cat Celebrates New Year's - What is a resolution?
- Pictures - Do they appeal to you and do they make the story better?
- Plot/Theme/Subject - Does the plot of the story make you think or teach a lesson? Do you and other children like the topic of the story?
- Characters - Can you relate to the characters? Are the characters funny or appealing in some way?
- Author/Illustrator - Does the author have a reputation for good books? Do you like other books by that author?
- Douglas, You Need Glasses! - Ebook on MackinVia
- Memoirs of a Parrot - What is a memoir? What is a biography?
- Digital Citizenship with Net Smartz Kids and Digital Passport
- Digital Etiquette with BrainPop
Congratulations to all the Students that Met Their AR Goal
MackinVia Ebooks for Winter Time
Winnie the Pooh Day - A. A. Milne's Birthday January 18
Bubble Gum Days - January 29- February 9
World Read Aloud Day - Feb. 1
Early Spring Book Fair - March 12-20 2018
5th Annual Book Exchange starting in May
Volunteer Profiles - Meet Ms. Char
Our Awsome SSYRA Readers
Parmis - 15
Aaron L. - 15
Hannah B. - 15
Liam C. - 15
Nick V. - 13
Graham - 14
Isabella M. - 14
Catiria - 10
Max T. 10
James E. - 10
Julianna U. - 14
Jack K. - 9
Will L. - 8
Vrinda - 8
Emma M. - 9
Ethan C - 8
Gabby B. - 9
Kayleigh R. - 9
Kendall S. 7
For more information and a list of books, visit the PES Media Center website.
Our Numbers for December 2017
Number of Books Checked Out - 3,208
Number of E-books Viewed - 429
Number of Classes - 94
Number of Magazines Checked-out - 37
Most Check-outs by a Student - Harlow from Mrs. Devlin's Class 15
Class with the Most Check-outs - Mrs. Bozard's Class 103
Most Check-outs by a Teacher - Mrs. Simpson 40
Number of New Books Added - 42
10 Most Checked Out Books in December
Birthday Book Club
The Palencia Elementary School Media Center’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to commemorate your child’s birthday. Your participation not only enriches the library collection but allows you and your child to be personally involved in its growth.
To take part in the Birthday Book Club donate one new undamaged hardback book. This book should be a book that your child enjoys and one that we don’t have in the media center already. You can choose a new book at the book store or a new book from the Book Fair. A quick check of our library catalog (Destiny) will tell you if we already have the book. If you would prefer, you may make a monetary donation of $15 and your child can choose from recently acquired books that are waiting to be put on the shelves. For more information, contact the media center.