12TH MAY 2015- NATURAL CATASTROPHE DAY FOR NEPAL
EARTHQUAKE STRIKES NEPAL
- DATE: 12 MAY 2015
- ORIGIN TIME: 12:50:19 NST
- MAGNITUDE: 7.3 Mw
- DEPTH: 18.5Km (11.5mi)
- TYPE: THRUST
- EPICENTER: BORDER OF DOLAKHA AND SINDHUPALCHOWK
- AREAS AFFECTED: NEPAL, INDIA, BANGLADESH, CHINA (TIBET)
- MAX. INTENSITY: VII (SEVERE)
- AFTER SHOCKS: 5.7 Mw
- CASUALITIES: AROUND 5000 DEAD, 3,500 INJURED, 10,000 HOMELESS
CONSEQUENCES OF THE EARTHQUAKE
NEPAL- BEFORE AND AFTER
GEOLOGICAL SURVEYED CAUSE OF EARTHQUAKE
Catastrophic earthquake in Nepal occurred because of two converging tectonic plates: the India plate and the overriding Eurasia plate to the north, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
Tectonic plates are the large, thin, relatively rigid plates that move relative to one another on the outer surface of the Earth.
Plates are always slowly moving, but they get stuck at their edges due to friction. When the stress on the edge overcomes the friction, there is an earthquake that releases energy in waves that travel through the Earth's crust and cause the shaking that we feel.
PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES AT THE TIME OF EARTHQUAKE
1. Do not panic, keep calm.
2. Douse all fires.
3. If the earthquake catches you indoors, stay indoors. Take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture. Stay away from glass, or loose hanging objects.
4. If you are outside, move away from buildings, steep slopes and utility wires.
5. If you are in a crowded place, do not rush for cover or to doorways.
6. If you are in a moving vehicle, stop as quickly as safety permits, but stay in the vehicle until the shaking stops.
7. If you are in a lift, get out of the lift as quickly as possible.
8. If you are in a tunnel, move out of the tunnel to the open as quickly as safety permits.
RESCUE AND RELIEF OPERATIONS
Search operations on the aftermath of an earthquake are immensely daunting involving very high risk factor for the rescue workers. Search and relief operations need to have impeccable coordination.
Some of the main search and relief operations involve the following:
- Gaining access to the catastrophic areas need to be quick with all international support and logistics both on air and ground.
- Entering completely or partially collapsed buildings to find survivors need expertise advice, planning and specialized tools which need to be swiftly coordinated and executed.
- Modern and specialized Sound systems need to immediately installed to detect any minute sound from rubble to remove trapped people.
- Trained dogs are extremely effective during search operation. Their sense of smell to pick up signs of human life from under the rubble and other covered areas are extremely quick and effective.
- Food, water, medical supplies, clothing and shelter arrangements is very essential and sensitive. The responsible government in coordination with UN relief operations and other private relief operations team need to be very supportive in reaching the people in disarray.