African American Progressive
Taking Away These Rights
2. Literacy - many couldn't read or write properly
3. Grandfather Clause - If you had an ancestor that could vote in 1867 then you were able to bypass the other tests, this mainly applied to the white men.
4. Jim Crow Laws - Discrimination and Segregation
Ida B. Wells
- Led a fearless crusade against lynching
- Wanted a fair trial for those convicted of a crime
- Even though the anti-lynching bill was denied, lynchings went down.
Booker T. Washington
- Encouraged development of African American Business
- Atlanta Compromise - which helped the african americans focus on education
W. E. B. Du Bois
- Worked hard to try to fight discrimination
Plessy v. Ferguson
- Separate but Equal was supposed to be the outcome, yet the races were never equal.
- They were even know as inferior.