GKHS Counseling Digest
Staying Connected to Your Support Network
Your Counseling Team
Danielle Melvin (A-Col), email@example.com
Brad Hostak (Com-Gra), firstname.lastname@example.org
Megan Wardle (Gre-La), email@example.com
Jennie Colgan (Le-Pam), firstname.lastname@example.orgJodi Greyeyes (Pan-Sol), email@example.com
Mike Stallman (Som-Z), firstname.lastname@example.org
Katie Kimball, Social Worker, email@example.com
Kelly Woyak, Career Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Emmalee Kronoff, Career Counselor, email@example.com
In this issue...
- WiFi Hotspots
- Running Start Update
- Questions about 4-year college admissions
- Pioneer Valley PTA Scholarship
- JUNIOR Scholarships on Collegeboard
- IGNITE Panel on Wednesday
- Explore Careers from Home
- How to complete your ROTC Scholarship Application
- Want to be a Link Crew Leader?
- Decision Day & Senior Awards
- Senior STEM Signing Day
- Staying Connected
- SAT & Running Start updates
Running Start Update
Pierce College has a new process for students who are interested in Running Start. If you are a current sophomore or junior and are interested in Running Start at Pierce College for next year, please follow these steps.
· Step 1: Complete a Pierce College Admissions Application. The application link will be working on May 11. Once your application is processed, you will receive a welcome email and Pierce College ID number.
· Step 2: Place into college level English. Contact the Pierce College Testing and Placement Center for Guided Self Placement (GSP) (PuyTesting@pierce.ctc.edu). If you qualify for Running Start, you will receive an email that you will need to forward to your GKHS counselor. If you plan to take math at Pierce College, you will also need to complete the Math GSP.
o If you will complete Advanced Algebra at GKHS this school year. You may qualify to enroll in math at Pierce College. You will need to complete the Math GSP.
o If you will complete Geometry at GKHS this school year, you will take Advanced Algebra at GKHS next school year.
· Step 3: Connect with your GKHS counselor for your Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (EVF). Email your counselor to schedule a Zoom appointment, or schedule an appointment online through the GKHS Counseling Center website.
· Step 4: Log in to your MyPierce account and complete the New Student Guide, including the Student Intake Form in Module 7. Approximately 3 business days later, you will receive an email with information regarding how to schedule your advising appointment and how to provide your Running Start EVF to Pierce College.
While most GKHS Running Start students attend Pierce College, some also attend other local community and technical colleges. If you are interested in Running Start at Tacoma Community College, Clover Park Technical College, Green River College, or Bates Technical College, please check their Running Start websites for application and placement steps.
Washington Public Four-Year College & Universities COVID-19 FAQ
Do you have questions about how public 4-year colleges will consider changes that take place due to our current situation? Here is a great FAQ. Please reach out to your Counselor or Career Specialist if you need additional help!
From the Career Center...
Pioneer Valley PTA Scholarship
Got 145 hours or more of Community Service?
JUNIORS! CollegeBoard Scholarships - Apply Now!
Explore Careers from Home!
May is Career Connected Learning Month in Washington!
On Monday, May 4, Career Connect Washington will be launching CareerConnect@Home, a new initiative for connecting students in grades 7-12 with real Washington state employers to learn about career opportunities here in our state. Every weekday in May at 3:30 PM, we will livestream a conversation with a different employer, who will talk about their career, their industry, their skills and challenges, and answer questions from students. You can find the full schedule here.
This is a free program open to all - discussions will be livestreamed on YouTube and kids can ask questions via our Instagram account career.connect.at.home. Discussions will also be recorded and available for later viewing.
Do you want to learn how to launch a career in technology? Are you interested in health care or nonprofits? Curious about careers in energy, advanced manufacturing, or construction? Please check out CareerConnect@Home!
ROTC Scholarships still available for PLU & UW Tacoma! Seniors, contact Danl Connelly directly. Juniors can start applying now!
Senior Decision Day & Awards Night Survey
Majoring in Business at UW Tacoma Webinar
Wednesday, May 13 at noon
Join us for an online webinar hosted by the UW Tacoma Office of Admissions and Milgard School of Business for high school students of all grade levels who are considering pursuing a college business degree:
· Learn all about UW Tacoma!
· What does it mean to major in business?
· Learn about UW Tacoma’s Milgard School of Business, which offers degree options in Accounting, Finance, Management, Marketing, or General Business
· Walk through admission requirements
· Learn about financial aid as well as scholarship opportunities
Virtual STEM Signing Day Event for Seniors
More from the Counseling Office...
Sophomores & Juniors Interested in Link Crew Next Year?
If you are a Sophomore or a Junior and you would like to welcome in our new Freshman Class of 2024 to inspire and serve as mentors, please complete this application by May 22nd. https://forms.gle/BRWiJyVeGwao1Fhq5
Link Crew is a high school transition program that welcomes Freshmen and makes them feel comfortable throughout the first year of their high school experience. Built on the belief that students can help students succeed, Boomerang Project’s proven high school transition program trains mentors from your junior and senior classes to be Link Crew Leaders. As positive role models, Link Crew Leaders are mentors and student leaders who guide the freshmen to discover what it takes to be successful during the transition to high school and help facilitate freshman success.
- For the Class of 2020 parents only, please join the GRAHAM KAPOWSIN C/O 2020 Facebook page. Search by that name and request to join. Important information shared!
- You can also join the GKHelp Instagram page...for all students & parents!
- Shower Seniors GKHS Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/694047981362655/?fref=nf
- GK Counseling Center https://www.facebook.com/Graham-Kapowsin-Counseling-Center-363437170733154/
Nutritional Resources & Ordering
Beginning Monday, April 6th the following eight "Meals in Motion" sites will be operating-
- Camas Prairie Elementary School
- Cougar Mountain Middle School
- Graham-Kapowsin High School
- North Star Elementary School (re-opening)
- Roy Elementary School
- Shining Mountain Elementary School (re-opening)
- Spanaway Lake High School
- Spanaway Middle School
ORDER your meals here!