School Nurse Newsletter
See What a Difference School Nurses Make
A Note From Sherri
The first nurses' network meeting was held in December. I am excited to share IT WAS A SUCCESS! Those attending walked away refreshed and energized after a wonderful morning presentation over grief followed by tips for using technology and networking in the afternoon. Here are a few comments:
"Love the networking experiences with the nurses present."
"Lots of awesome IT info! Loved the networking-picking brains!"
"Collaborating with other nurses is helpful. Grief info and technology were both good."
The next networking meeting is scheduled for February 18, 2016. I hope to see you there!
History in the Making: School Health Provisions in New ESSA
The great news is ESSA includes several provisions that relate to student health, including:
- Adds chronic absenteeism as a required indicator to school report cards for Title 1 schools (schools with high numbers or high percentages of low-income students).
- Allows the use of Title 1 funds to support school health services.
- Recognizes both health education and physical education as part of a well-rounded education.
President Obama signs the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA) into law.
Keeping Up-to-Date of Trends in Drug Use
Keeping well-informed of the latest trends in drug use will provide you with insight to key in on the drug culture within your school from the conversations students are having. Teens are more likely to have abused a prescription painkiller than a variety of illicit drugs.
· Promethazine or phenergan cough syrup with codeine sells for $20.00 an ounce in the Tyler and San Antonio area.
· Alprazolam (Xanax) tablets sold for $4-$5 in San Antonio, $10 in El-Paso, $2-$4 in Tyler, $2-$3 in Houston, $3-$5 in Fort Worth, and $5 in Dallas.
· Hydrocodone sold for $4-$5 per pill in Dallas, $1-$5 in El Paso, and $5–$7 in Houston, and OxyContin® costs $1 per mg in Dallas and Houston and $10 per tablet in San Antonio.
· Hydromorphone sold for $40–$60 A 10mg Methadone tablet cost $7–$10 in Fort Worth, $2-$5 in El Paso, and $5-$10 in San Antonio.
Where do they get it from?
• Most abused pharmaceutical controlled substances are obtained by forged prescriptions, doctor shopping, and theft.
• Law enforcement agencies report that people getting prescription drugs via the Internet, often through Internet-based pharmacies, has increased with in the past several years.
Trends From Around The State
· Smoking marijuana with coffee grinds
· Drinking Hand Sanitizer
· Cutting up Rx and mixing them Creating alcohol spray
Have You Heard of:
2016 is here! It is a great time for students to focus on health choices.
10 HEALTHY NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS FOR KIDS
The following tips are from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
1. I will clean up my toys, and keep my room in good order.
2. I will brush my teeth twice a day, and wash my hands before eating and after the bathroom.
3. I won’t tease dogs, even friendly ones – and keep my hands and face away from their mouths.
4. I will drink more milk and water, and limit soda and fruity drinks.
5. I will apply sunscreen before going outdoors.
6. I will find a sport or activity that I like, and do it at least three times a week.
7. I will always wear a helmet when bicycling or boarding.
8. I will wear my seat belt every time I get in the car.
9. I’ll be nice to others, and friendly to kids who need friends – like someone shy or new to school.
10. I’ll never give out personal information or pictures of myself to strangers or over the internet.
It is cold outside!!
Hot Chocolate Mix
- 10 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3-3/4 cups instant chocolate drink mix
- 1-1/3 cups powdered nondairy creamer
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
In an airtight container, combine all ingredients. Store in a cool dry place up to 6 months.
Dissolve 4 - 5 teaspoons mix with 1 cup boiling water. Stir well.
January 11, 2016- CPS and Schools, Session #054111
January 12, 2016- Vision & Hearing Re-Certification, Session #047696
January 13, 2016- Parenting and Paternity Awareness Training, Session #051936
February 2, 2016- Homeless 101, Session #048655
February 2, 2016- Homeless 201, Session #048659
February 3, 2016- Scoliosis/Spinal Screening, Session #047752
February 10, 2016- School Safety Summit, Session #047680
February 18, 2016- Nurses Networking Meeting, Session #048678
March 2, 2016- Vision Certification, Session #047698
March 3, 2016- Hearing Certification, Session #047700
March 22, 2016- Vision & Hearing Re-Certification, Session #047702
April 8, 2016- Health Provider CPR, Session #047746
April 12, 2016- Nurses Networking Meeting, Session #048680
April 14, 2016- Scoliosis/Spinal Screening, Session #047754
June 2, 2016- Heartsaver CPR/First Aid, Session #047762
June 17, 2016- Health Provider CPR, Session #047748
July 14, 2016- Heartsaver CPR/First Aid, Session #047764
Nurses Conference- August 2, 2016