Veterans Day is Monday!
Please consider wearing red, white or blue as an additional show of support for our Veterans and join us at 9:05 in front of the building. If you have photos of Veterans that are special to you, please feel free to add their photo to the wall across from Mary and Taylor by the water fountain. If you would like to email it, send it to email@example.com. We'll leave that up through November.
Caffeine & Curriculum on Tuesday
Holiday Concert Dance Practice
- Friday, November 8
- Wednesday, November 13
- Friday, November 15
- Tuesday, November 19
- Tuesday, December 3
- Friday, December 6
- Wednesday, December 11
- Friday, December 13
Calendars: Scheduling Events
Long Term Planning
As we keep communication within school and with our parent community a priority, please communicate any important dates that parents may need to know. Please be thinking about special events that you or others in our building may host so we can plan for timely communication of those events.
- November 18-22- American Education Week
- November 18- Assembly in A.M. (Imagination Theater; K-2 (9:45-10:30); 3-5 (10:45-11:30)
- November 20- Cook's Night Out @ Chidk-Fil-A
- November 21-Circus in PE
- November 21- PTA Meeting; 7 p.m.
- December 3- Northside Band Demonstration Concert @ Wheaton North; 7 p.m.
- December 4- District math walk-throughs in a.m.
- December 7- Holiday Bazaar
- December 11- Cook's Night Out @ Glen Ellyn Noodles & Company
- December 13- PTA Meeting; 9:30 a.m.
- December 16- Winter Concert
- February 7- Assembly in A.M. (Rope Warrior; times TBA)
- February 20- Cook's Night Out @ CHik-Fil-A
- May 3- Lowell 5K
- June 3- Discovery Day
Tech Tip- Announcing our 1st Tech Lunch & Learn
Please complete this form to RSVP and share any questions you'd like to explore. I'll be offering a monthly opportunity to spend some time with technology.
What inspires you?
- Do you have anything in the upstairs attic here at school? If so, let Kathy know and be sure if it is labeled. The Wheaton Fire Department has asked us to give some special attention to that area.
Next Week's Events
Monday, November 11
- Veterans Day- Please wear red, white, &/or blue! Pledge outside at 9:15!
- (Green Club; 3:30-4:45 in LLC)
Tuesday, November 12
- Caffeine & Curriculum w/Meredith (LLC)
- Bus evacuation drills (Schedule posted in Staff Center)
- Kathy @ elementary principal meeting in a.m.
- Chorus; before school in Music Room
- ELL Tutoring; 3:30-5 p.m. in LLC
- (Daisy Troop; 3:30 p.m. in Art Room)
Wednesday, November 13
- Dance practice; 8:30 a.m. in LLC
- ELL Tutoring; 3:30-4:15 p.m. in LLC
- (Brownies; after school in Art Room)
Thursday, November 14
- (Battle of the Books; 8 a.m. in LLC)
- Intervention Team
Friday, November 15
- ELL Thanksgiving (12-1 in LLC)
- (Chess Club; 3:45 p.m. in LLC)
- (Brownies; 3:30 p.m. in Art Room)
- (Pack meeting; 7 p.m. in Gym)
Interested in pursuing a grant? Read here about an opportunity for the Junior League of Kane and DuPage counties. The deadline for application is January 15.
Bring Learning to Life with Grants from the Illinois Department of Natural Resources
The Illinois Department of Natural Resources, in cooperation with the Illinois Conservation Foundation, offers two grants that can help you incorporate the outdoors into your curriculum.
The Schoolyard Habitat Action Grant program offers teachers the opportunity to apply for up to $1,000.00 each to develop or enhance wildlife habitat on the school grounds or other public place. Prairie plots, butterfly gardens, wetlands, outdoor classrooms, woodland plots, rain gardens and bird nesting-box trails are just some of the projects that have been developed by students with this funding source. All curriculum areas can be incorporated, and projects are particularly applicable to several of the performance expectations of the Next Generation Science Standards. Applications are due by November 30, 2013. Grants will be awarded in early February 2014. Funding for this program is provided by the Jadel Youth Fund, Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Foundation, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service’s Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program and a grant from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
The Illinois Biodiversity Field Trip Grant program allows teachers to take their students on a field trip to study some aspect of Illinois’ natural heritage. State parks, forest preserve districts, national forest sites, museums, nature centers and outdoor learning centers are just some of the qualifying destinations. The field trip destination must be in Illinois, and the trip must relate to the Illinois Learning Standards and classroom curriculum. Teachers can apply for up to $500.00 to be applied to transportation and substitute teachers. Grants will be awarded in mid-March 2014. The field trip must occur after the award of the grant and before December 31, 2014. The application deadline is January 31, 2014. Funding for this program is provided by the Independence Tube Corporation and the Daniel F. and Ada L. Rice Foundation.
You can access the instructions and application forms for both grants at http://dnr.state.il.us/education/CLASSRM/grants.htm. Please note the “Frequently Asked Questions” and podcasts with tips to help you complete the application form. Make sure that you follow the instructions and complete the entire application form. Should you have any questions about the grants, please firstname.lastname@example.org or call 217-524-4126.