McKinley Middle School
Taking a break from History Day preparation
Purpose of The Vision
Academic Instruction: Model of Instruction; STEAM Magnet School Update
1. Evidence an entrance procedure has been designed and articulated to students: 82%
2. Students can articulate the entrance procedure: 92%
3. Postive acknowledgements: 18%
4. Explicit expectations prior to transition: 69%
5. Common attention signal used: 76%
6. Evidence an exit procedure has been designed and articulated to students: 53%
7. Students can articulate the exit procedure: 67%
8. Majority of students demonstrate procedure: 71%
9. Teacher dismisses students, not the bell: 57%
Based on the image below, you can compare the growth our staff has made since our return from winter break.
In 2019-2020, McKinley Middle School will transition to McKinley STEAM Academy, the second Magnet middle school in Cedar Rapids and eastern Iowa. The McKinley teaching staff recently spent time with a Magnet consultant to create our vision statement and tag lines. I am very excited to share both of these with you!
McKinley STEAM Academy Vision Statement:
As a magnet middle school, McKinley STEAM Academy is dedicated to learning collaboratively, cultivating curiosity, celebrating diversity, and building relationships through high quality integrated curriculum opportunities.
McKinley STEAM Academy Tag Line:
Knowledge is created. Dreams take hold. Students lead the way.
Knowledge, Dreams, Leadership.
Post Winter Break Data
WHAT IS RESTORATIVE PRACTICES?
- Focuses on harms and consequent needs (the victims', as well as the communities' and the offenders').
- Addresses obligations resulting from those harms (the offenders', but also the communities' and the society's).
- Uses inclusive, collaborative processes.
- Involves those with a legitimate stake in the situation (victims, offenders, community members, society).
- Seeks to put right the wrongs.
McKinley Middle School will be hosting a Restorative Practices informational night for families and community during the 4th quarter. Stay tuned for more information.
Nothing is more important than the safety of our students and staff and we are committed to providing a safe and secure environment. Please take time to visit with your child about the importance of communicating information with the adults at McKinley. We want our students to follow this slogan: See Something, Hear Something, Say Something!
McKinley will be hosting a STEAM Night on Wednesday, May 2 from 6:00-8:00 pm. If you are interested in helping with this event, please contact Michele Wilson or Jason Martinez at 558-2348.
We still have several other volunteer opportunities available for parents to partner with our school. These choices include volunteering in the Bear Paw store, Grizzly Cove, classrooms, or serving as a before school parent greeter. In addition, we will be seeking volunteers to assist with the beautification of our grounds in May. If you are interested in volunteering at McKinley Middle School, please contact our volunteer coordinator Mrs. Jackie Mason at 319.558.2348 or email email@example.com.