Determining Unknown Words
How do I figure out what that word means???
How can you use clues to help you determine the meaning of words that you don't know?
Writers give us clues in a sentence or paragraph to help us determine unknown words.
Think about what other words you could use to replace your unknown word that would still make the sentence make sense.
Use clues in the following sentences to determine the meaning of the underlined words.
1. Nick and Zach concurred with each other; they both thought that the Ravens were going to win the Superbowl.
a. disagreed b. fought c. agreed d. watched football
2. Aislinn has hidden the note in an undisclosed location; no one knows and no one will EVER know!
a. unknown b. popular c. public park d. famous
3. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.
a. combination b. type of plastic c. type of sword d. different
4. The continents are slowly drifting apart. Since they are not stationary, North and South America will one day separate entirely.
a. moving slowly b. staying still c. creating eathquakes d. coming closer
5. Tim made a face and refused to eat the broccoli because he detested all vegetables.
a. loved b. shared c. planted d. hated
6. I didn’t want Sparky getting wet, so I beckoned him in my firmest voice to come in out of the rain.
a. took him for a walk b. gave him a bath c. called him d. gave him extra treats
7. Penny licked every last morsel of the chocolate chip brownie off her plate.
a. crumbs b. glass c. plate d. leftovers
Read the passage and use the clues within the passage to determine the unknown words.
What do you think ecstatic means in this paragraph?
What do you think queue means in this paragraph?
What do you think flustered means in this paragraph?
What do you think crisps means in this paragraph?
What do you think disorienting means in this paragraph?
What do you think holiday means in this paragraph? (Hint: It does not mean an actual holiday like Christmas or Thanksgiving)