Love vs. Infatuation
By: Allison O'Brien
- An intense feeling of deep affection
- A feeling of complete trust and comfortableness around a person; when you can be yourself completely
- An intense but short-lived passion or admiration for someone or something
- An intense feeling towards a person but only because of their looks and perfections; you always have to be someone you're not
This quote represents love to me because when you are truly in love with somebody you can totally be yourself. You don't have to be perfect around them at all times and they will still love you no matter what imperfections you have.
This quote represents infatuation to me because when you are infatuated with someone you only see what's perfect about them. However, once you start seeing their imperfections you have to tell yourself that they are the one for you which you shouldn't have to do, you should just know.
TYPES OF LOVE
- Consummate Love
- Consummate Love portrays love because it contains all three components such as intimacy, passion and commitment. You need all three of these to have a healthy relationship that focuses on more than just first impressions and appearances.
- Romantic Love
- Romantic Love portrays infatuation because they only have passion and intimacy. They do not share any commitment which is a key component to love. Romantic love is the kind of love where each person in the relationship is so in love all they can see are the perfections and are so into each other that the relationship probably won't last very long.
INFATUATIONRon and Sammy meet at a basketball game and it felt like love at first sight. Ron thought Sammy was the hottest girl he had ever seen and Sammy thought Ron was one of the most attractive boys in her grade. They started dating a couple weeks later and by the second week of the relationship they were already saying ¨I love you.¨ They each thought the other was the definition of perfection and were obsessed with each other. However, after a couple months Sammy noticed that Ron tended to swear, a lot. This started to really bother her, but she tried every day to remind herself the Ron was perfect. As this was happening to Sammy, Ron also took notice of something annoying about Sammy. She tended to use the word ¨like¨ while talking obsessively. As they both tried to play it off as nothing it only took a week for their imperfections to destroyed the relationship.