What you need to know
- Anxiety disorders are highly treatable, yet only about one-third of those suffering receive treatment.
- Anxiety disorders cost the U.S. more than $42 billion a year.
- Anxiety disorders develop from a complex set of risk factors, including genetics, brain chemistry, personality, and life events.
- Nearly one-half of those diagnosed with depression are also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.
- People with an anxiety disorder are three to five times more likely to go to the doctor and six times more likely to be hospitalized for psychiatric disorders than those who do not suffer from anxiety disorders.
- Statistically, women are more commonly afflicted by anxiety disorders than men.
- Between 1 in every 12 and 1 in 15 children and young people deliberately self-harm .
- Over 8,000 children aged under 10 years old suffer from severe depression
- 3.3% or about 290,000 children and young people have an anxiety disorder
- 4.4% or about 195,000 young people have an anxiety disorder