November 5, 2021
From the Principal
- Please do not send your child to school with crocs and/or slides. We're getting an increase in injuries due to these types of footwear.
- Please do not bring in lunch, or have it delivered, after the school day has begun. Lunch is provided here if anyone forgets. We simply don't have the manpower to take lunches to students.
- MAA collaborated with Towson University to expand services for students for whom English is a second language. We will be administering a survey to our students: PASS (Pupil Attitudes to Self and School) in the month of November. The survey will allow us to proactively address non-academic barriers to learning which can compromise the well-being and academic success of our students. All information is confidential. Information about your child will be shared with you. Please let us know if you do NOT want your child to participate in the survey by signing the letter below and returning to school by November 5th.
- Uniforms: Please remember to send your children to school in uniform. Please reach out to Mrs. Johnson (School Counselor) if you have needs.
- School Year 22-23: Applications are open for admission to MAA for next school year. There are Virtual Open Houses planned. Please share the information with your friends and neighbors.
Have a great weekend!
Virtual Open Houses for Prospective Students
Lost and Found
Has your child not come home with an item you worked hard to get them? Have no fear it might be in the lost and found! The lost and found is located in the cafeteria. Please encourage your student to check there. On the last two days of the month we will move lost items to the front office for families to come and take a look. Since the last two days of this month fall on a weekend we will have the family days on Monday and Tuesday. Please stop by to take a look! After the family days all lost items with no home will be donated to a family in need.
What's Happening in Reading?
Reading Expectations- Students are expected to partake in multiple literacy lessons throughout the day. These include small group and whole group instruction. We have aligned our literacy curriculum with the units in each grade levels’ Programme of Inquiry to ensure cross-curricular fluidity. The instruction they are receiving is differentiated based on their instructional needs.
Reading at Home- We will be starting a reading initiative which encourages students in grades PK-1 to read or be read to for 15 min and grades 2-5 20 minutes a day. More information to come in November.
DIBELS- The DIBELS testing window closes at the end of October. Letters to Kindergarten families have been sent home informing them which curriculum they will be receiving. Families of First and Second Grade students will be receiving a letter if there is a change in the Foundational Literacy curriculum they will be receiving.
iReady- iReady Reading and Math diagnostic test results will be used to make instructional decisions such as small group instruction, reteaching and extension.
11 & 12 2 hour early dismissal, end of first marking period (dismissal at 1:15)
15 Chick Fil A Spirit Night (see information below)
16 Virtual Open House for Prospective Students at 6:00 pm
22 2 hour late arrival for conferences (arrival at 10:15)
23 2 hour early dismissal for conferences (dismissal at 1:15)
24-26 Schools closed for Thanksgiving Holiday
8 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
24-31 Schools closed for Christmas/Winter Break
17 Schools closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Commemoration
27 & 28 2 hour early dismissal for end of second marking period (dismissal at 1:15)
31 No School for Students, Semester Break
9 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
21 Schools closed for President's Day
7 2 hour late arrival for conferences (arrival at 10:15)
8 2 hour early dismissal for conferences (dismissal at 1:15)
30 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
Monarch Annapolis Concert Dates
Thursday, January 13, 2022 - Winter Strings, Uke, Mariachi Concert
Tuesday, January 18, 2022 - Winter Band, Chorus, Steel & Bucket Drum Concert
Thursday, May 12, 2022 - Spring Strings, Uke, Mariachi Concert
Tuesday, May 17, 2022 - Spring Band, Chorus, Steel & Bucket Drum Concert
*Annapolis Band Feeder Concert – Jan 24th pending – 4th/5th Grade (Field Trip) - *Optional
* June Cultural Arts Showcase – Date TBD – Featuring student compositions, solos, art, and more! – *Optional
The PTA would like to Thank all of the MAA Bus Drivers taking our kids to school daily! We have created the below sign up for some of the items with an address to ship them to so we can put the care packages together. Please consider donating to our bus drivers! You can ship other items as well just please indicate which color bus they are for! Please ship to have all items delivered by November 12th
On Friday November 19th we are asking students to give a thank you picture or card designed by them to the bus driver and parents can give any items directly as well! The PTA will have care packages at the school for each of the bus drivers that day as well!
Please reach out to the PTA with any questions.
First Spirit Night of the year! We are working on seeing if we can add additional locations, this is drive through or Mobile order only, no instore purchase or dining.