Should it be legal?
Dolly The Sheep: The first cloned animal
CC & Rainbow: the first cloned cat/ domestic animal
Cons of Cloning
- the cloning success rate falls into 0.1 percent to 3 percent
- clones can experience Large Offspring Syndrome (LOS) when they are born
- clones without LOS can still have problems later in life
- Cloned animals immune systems could fail
- produced clones have had developmental delays & heart defects
Pros of Cloning
- Cloning could help with medicines
- Cloning can create identical stem cells for people
- Reviving Endangered or Extinct Species with cloning
- cloning deceased pets
- cloning good cattle and pigs for higher quality milk and meat
EQ: should cloning be legal?
AdoptUSKids. "Completing an Adoption Home Study." AdoptUSKids. N.p., 2002-2015. Web. 17 Dec. 2015. <http://www.adoptuskids.org/for-families/how-to-adopt/completing-an-adoption-home-study>.
"Cloning." Opposing Viewpoints Online Collection. Detroit: Gale, 2015. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 8 Dec. 2015.
Genetic Science Learning Center. Cc and Rainbow the first cat/ domestic animal succesfully cloned. Digital image. Why Clone? N.p., 22 June 2014. Web. 11 Dec. 2015. <http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cloning/whyclone/images/ccrainbow.jpg>.
Genetic Science Learning Center. "What Is Cloning?." Learn.Genetics 10 December 2015 <http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cloning/whatiscloning/>
Genetic Science Learning Center. "Why Clone?." Learn.Genetics 10 December 2015 <http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/cloning/whyclone/>
Kolata, Gina. "RESEARCHERS FIND BIG RISK OF DEFECT IN CLONING ANIMALS." The New York Times. The New York Times, 24 Mar. 2001. Web. 11 Dec. 2015. <http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/25/world/researchers-find-big-risk-of-defect-in-cloning-animals.html?pagewanted=all>.
Maas, Roxanne. "What Are the Risks of Cloning?" LIVESTRONG.COM. LIVESTRONG.COM, 10 Sept. 2015. Web. 10 Dec. 2015. <http://www.livestrong.com/article/254843-what-are-the-risks-of-cloning/>.
National Human Genome Research Institute. "Cloning Fact Sheet." Cloning Fact Sheet. N.p., 11 June 2015. Web. 09 Dec. 2015.
The Roslin Institute. Dolly The Sheep. Digital image. The Roslin Institute, n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2015. <http://www.animalresearch.info/files/7414/0742/1258/1996_1.jpg>.