The Storm Forecast
Aug 30, 2020
Time is flying...we are already entering our 4th week! I have been visiting classes and am very proud of the work your students are doing with their teachers- I love seeing the engagement and collaboration between everyone. I have received several parent messages of appreciation for all that the staff is doing and I want you to know that these mean a great deal to us- thank you!
I also want to thank you for the support- 2020 has been an unbelievable year that none of us could have prepared for and we appreciate your faith in us and your support as we continue to come up with creative and engaging ways to give your students a top notch college prep education. Thank you.
One of the questions that looms right now is- when will we go back to brick and mortar school? I will be very open and honest with you...I still don't know. I believe in being straightforward and honest with information and I do not want to give you any misleading or inaccurate information.
At this time, San Jose Schools is assessing the current health situation, awaiting word on the Governor's Executive Order and whether there will be modifications based on the FEA lawsuit, and DCPS reassessment of the reopening plan. We are also awaiting completion of the construction of our building, which will not be done until later this fall. Should we have to go back to brick and mortar school prior to the completion of the building, we are looking at leasing the FSCJ Deerwood campus, less than 4 miles from the school. Families will also have the option to remain on our current live stream virtual instruction.
As soon as I have definite information and updates for you, I will make sure to send it out via our usual channels (app, social media, newsletter/email, phone call). In the meantime, please continue to support your students and their teachers during this time of distance learning. Trust me...we can't wait to be back together again!
We are currently working on open house, a virtual club fair, Senior Night, and many more activities, so stay tuned!
Here's to a great week at San Jose Prep!
Benchmark assessments begin this week
These assessments are extremely important as they will indicate where your student is at in these areas. After 5-6 months out of school, it is even more critical for us to gather accurate data in these areas to ensure that we are designing the best instructional plan for your student.
Please help us by speaking with your student and emphasizing that they do their very best in these assessments so that we are able to get accurate data on your student. We will also share this data with you, so that you know where your student is at.
Any support that you can give us with your student in this will be greatly appreciated.
School hours: 8:00a.m.-2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
Fall sports begin this week
Practice starts on Monday at 3pm in the San Jose Primary cafeteria (4072 Sunbeam Rd)
For more information, email Coach Marquardt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Practice starts on Monday at 3:30pm at JJVA (8457 Western Way). Temperature checks begin at 2:45pm.
For more information email Coach Pacheco at email@example.com
In order to attend practice for either team, students must:
- have completed COVID waiver
- temperature check at the door
- face mask
- completed the EL2 and EL3 athletic forms
Parent workshops start this week! See Parent Academy info below
We will be offering a workshop for high school parents and a workshop for middle school parents in order to focus on issues and strategies that affect each age group. There will two sessions each day to help accommodate your schedule- you may come at noon or at 6pm. The workshop will be held on campus with strict COVID 19 guidelines:
- participants must wear a facemask while on campus
- all participants will be subject to a temperature check prior to entering the building
- a COVID waiver must be signed in order to attend
- All participants must observe social distancing
To attend our workshops, please sign up using one of the links below.
If you require a translator, child care, or transportation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Food will be provided.
Middle school: Sept 9 at noon:
Middle school: Sept 9 at 6pm:
High school: Sept 2 at 12pm
High school: Sept 2 at 6pm:
Breakfast and lunch...delivered???
If you would be interested in having your student's breakfast and lunches for the week delivered to your home, please fill out the following survey: https://forms.gle/LXiCxSTfeX1Kc2Lv5
For more information on school food services, please email email@example.com.
Important reminders for parents
- When students are in class, they are required to have their cameras turned in so we can verify the student's attendance and participation in the course. If your student's computer does not have a camera, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for a Chromebook to check out. Also remember that we take live attendance every class period, so if the student is not in the Google Classroom during class time, they will be marked absent.
- For students who are starting show potential truancy trends, attendance intervention meetings will begin in the next two weeks. Please make sure that your student is attending all of their classes every day.
- If you have a question about something in class, the best course of action is always to reach out to the teacher first. Most issues and questions can be resolved through communication with the classroom teacher. If you need to schedule a conference, please email email@example.com and a member of our team will reach out to you to schedule a conference.
- Please make sure that your student is completing their work! Although we are on virtual instruction, we still have graded work and deadlines for assignments.
When students are back on campus, we have strict COVID guidelines in place:
- Face masks are required in order to be on campus
- All students on campus must have a COVID waiver on file
- There are daily temperature checks daily prior to entering the building and throughout the day
- Everyone is expected to maintain socially distant
Is your contact information correct in our system?
If you are unsure if we have all of your current information, please email Mr. Cassells at firstname.lastname@example.org
We need to make sure we have your most current:
- phone numbers
- Any secondary contacts and their information
Test Prep Boot Camp for 11th and 12th graders
On Saturday, October 3, we will be having a Boot Camp for students wanting to prepare for the SAT. This will also be at 9am and breakfast and lunch will be provided. Seating is limited to 50 students due to COVID restrictions. To sign up, students should go to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10E-CyAKTHj4A2Cv8eNJbRP26iA90WL5Z3NNDv-PiTu0/edit?usp=sharing
San Jose Partners- our parent organization
Please join San Jose Partners! Memberships are $5 for the 2020-21 School Year: https://www.sanjoseprep.org/parent-organization/. We are the Parent Organization that supports our teachers, staff and students at San Jose Primary and San Jose Prep. Our organization is designed to enrich our school community. The leadership council meets monthly and discusses a wide range of topics including teacher appreciation events, fundraising, support for student activities and meeting the school's needs for volunteers. We also actively provide parent feedback to the administration. Every year, officers are elected by the SJP membership to fill key positions on our leadership council. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1667954689998754. Or email your questions to email@example.com for more information.
Important information about specific courses
Carmen Vazquez-Robles (middle school math)
John Monsalve (Spanish and SLS)
Carl Griffin (Digital Info Tech)
Meet Mrs. Bender, our licensed mental health counselor!
Please read her introductory letter below. You may contact Mrs. Bender@ firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet the Student Services Team!
- academic questions and issues
- parent/teacher conferences and communication
- 504s & IEPs
- grad tracking and graduation status
- retention/promotion questions
- social work services
- mental health services
- attendance interventions
If you need to reach out to one of our counselors, please email email@example.com and a member of our team will reach out to you.
Student Services Team:
Mrs. Cooley, Director of Student Services
Mrs. Bell, Academic Advisor
Ms. De La Cruz, Academic Advisor, Social Worker
Mrs. Campbell, AP, Pre-AP Coordinator & Assessments
Mrs. Hubbard, Academic interventionist
Mrs. Bender, Mental Health Counselor
For instructions on how to create a parent Focus account, go to https://dcps.duvalschools.org/Page/15745
When you have completed your application for an account, email firstname.lastname@example.org in order to have your account activated.
Once you have created the account, please allow 48 hours for activation.
Having difficulties? Please contact email@example.com for assistance.
Attention 7th grade parents!!!!
Please make sure that your student has had their shots and send a copy of the shot record to firstname.lastname@example.org