Susan H Nelson Newsletter
September 11, 2023
A Message From Our Principal
I hope the 23-24 school is off to a good start for all of you!
The big thing about independent studies is to keep being consistent with your assigned classwork. Sometimes it's difficult when you only come in a few hours a week!
Remember, your teachers are always happy to help out--connect with them if you need something!
It's really a good thing that we have an independent studies program--and our teachers are wanting your time at SHNS to be successful!
2023 College and Vocational Fair Saturday 9/23 10AM-2PM at the Temecula Promenade Mall
San Jacinto College will have several table booths at the City of Temecula's 15th Annual Temecula Valley College and Vocational Invitational at the Promenade Temecula. This event will provide current junior and senior high school students within the region an opportunity to speak with MSJC representatives and universities about their organization and educational opportunities. Come by and say hello!!
Have you seen the Susan H Nelson Wellness Page?
Meet Our New Counselor
Let's all welcome our new Susan H Nelson Counselor Mr. Dan Blanchfield.
If you would like to schedule an appointment, please go to www.calendly.com/dblanchfield and schedule your appointment at your earliest convenience. Indicate if you would like to meet in person, by phone or virtually. If you would prefer a phone conference, please include a phone number. If you would prefer to meet virtually, I will send you a Google Meet link for our virtual meeting.
Counselor, Susan H. Nelson Independent Study High School
(951) 695-7360 ext. 24605
We Have A College Success Coach To Help Our Future Graduates
Last Monday was Labor Day. Here are some interesting facts
Did You Know? LABOR DAY FACTS
- The first U.S. Labor Day was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882 in New York City, planned by the Central Labor Union. The Labor Day parade of about 10,000 workers took unpaid leave and marched from City Hall past Union Square uptown to 42nd street, and ended in Wendel’s Elm Park at 92nd Street and 9th Avenue for a concert, speeches, and a picnic.
- Oregon was the first to declare Labor Day an official holiday in 1887.
- Labor Day is considered the ‘unofficial NFL season kickoff.’ 99.44 percent of the time, the NFL plays its first official season game the Thursday after Labor Day.
- The first Waffle house opened on Labor Day. In 1955, in Avondale Estates, GA, the very first Waffle House opened its doors to the public.
- What are we celebrating? The contributions and achievements of the 155 million men and women who are in the U.S. workforce.
- On June 28, 1894, Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories.
Join The TVUSD Team
Parking at Sparkman Alternative Education Campus
The parking lot in front of campus off Pio Pico is for staff and visitor parking ONLY. You need a parking pass for this lot. Please see the sign that is posted at the entrance of the parking lot. We have seen many students parking there and taking up the spots that are meant for staff and visitors. We will be monitoring the front lot and will ask your student to park in the student parking lot below our campus to alleviate our parking situation for our staff and visitors.