March 18th - March 22nd
Monday, March 18th
- PTO meeting, 9:00am
PARENTING IN THE DIGITAL AGE, Presented to you by Tony DeMonte and Officer Pavely
Join us for topics that include:
~ Creating boundaries with mobile devices
~ Online social content and cyber bullying
~ Live Snap Chat demo
~ Dangerous apps and inappropriate content
~ Debunking “The Momo Challenge"
~ Privacy expectations for children
~Mrs. Medsker, Harper’s social worker, will address bullying protocol and steps.
This event is brought to you by the Harper PTO and is open to all D39 schools and parents. Little ones welcome. Click on the PDF flyer below to register.
- Last session of Harper Open Gym, 6:30pm - 8pm
- Board of Education meeting, MEC-7:00pm
Wednesday, March 20th
- Fourth Grade Game Night!
- The Fourth Grade teachers are hosting a game night. These aren’t your every day games. These games are strategic games. So, get on your thinking cap! Your brain will grow.
- Time: 6:00-7:00pm
- Where: Harper Cafeteria
- Please RSVP by Monday, March 18th by clicking HERE
Friday, March 22nd
- Maker Day! March Madness STEAM day- dress in your favorite sports shirt/jersey!
Monday, March 25th - Friday, March 29th
- No School, Spring Break!
Dr. Kick's Corner
We are starting to get the word out about the Open House for Kari on April 17th. I put a news item on our home page. Can you include it in your weekly email - it would be great if you do it this week, and then again in a couple of week.
Here is the link - Open House for D39's New Superintendent
The monthly Board of Education meeting is Monday, March 18th at 7:00 PM at the MEC. Below are a couple of topics that may be of interest. If you can’t make the meeting, you can view it live or later, either on the District website or on Channel 6. Highlights of the meeting will be emailed and posted online within a day or two.
- Strategic Plan Updates: New Initiatives
- Fiscal Year 2020 Non-Operating Funds Tentative Budget
Dr. Lechner would like to share with you that McKenzie Principal Rachel Filippi has accepted a position as a principal in Highland Park District 112 for next year. Rachel has had a positive impact during her two years at McKenzie, and she will be missed. Dr. Lechner has kept our incoming Superintendent Dr. Cremascoli fully updated. They will be working together on selecting the next McKenzie Principal and ensuring a smooth transition.
Destination Imagination State Tournament!
- On March 2nd two teams represented Harper Elementary in the regional Destination Imagination tournament in Gurnee. Fourth graders,The Creative Potatoes, placed 4th in the technical challenge. And Third graders, The Pretzel Pals, places 3rd in the Engineering challenge- sending them to the state tournament next month. Congrats to all of our DI participants!!
Harper PTO - A message from the PTO President
The Harper PTO 2019-20 slate is almost completely FILLED! For a complete list of slate names and positions, please head on over to our PTO Website to check it out. Click here for PTO link.
Thank you to our fabulous nominating committee (Sissy Polacek, Amanda Callahan, Liz Hayes, Jessica Reynolds and Carrie Diamond) for working so hard to fill the PTO positions and to all the parents who signed up to volunteer next year!
We have several key spots still available so please consider donating your time to Harper and the students!
HARPER HOEDOWN - Need 1-2 Co-Chairs and a support committee of 4-5 people.
* If we don’t have a chair/co-chair raise their hands soon, then we will unfortunately be canceling this event for 2019-20!
ENVIRONMENTAL CHAIR - Need 1 person to maintain Environmental communication in Harper Happenings and practices throughout Harper School
JUNIOR GREAT BOOKS READING CLUB - Need 1-2 Co-Chairs to run kids fun reading program once a week during winter recess time.
COMMUNITY SERVICE COMMITTEE - Needs more helping hands to round out this giving committee. Join the 4 current members
It takes a village, so please consider joining this amazing group of Harper Parents. For further information; contact Carrie Diamond at email@example.com or Sissy Polacek at firstname.lastname@example.org
After School Clubs
- Checkmate! Chess Club registration is open! Chess Club will run after school Mondays April 8 - June 3 until 4:30. Everyone from beginners to experts are welcome to come and enhance their game. Students will be studying opening theory, middle game planning and endgame combinations, plus tactics and strategies to enhance their skill set. Click here for details and to register through the Wilmette Park District.
- Think Spring! The Harper Garden will officially re-open on Tuesday, April 16th. Sign up HERE to volunteer. A garden co-chair will be on hand to run activities with your help, and this is the ONE volunteer opportunity at Harper that allows little siblings to attend!
iGNITE! Enrichment Information
Thank you to iGNITE! for the following Enrichment Experiences!
- Mark you calendars with the below upcoming iGNITE! sponsored events:
- 4th Grade parents: We are pleased to be able to share with you Mike Byster and his amazing and unique Brainetics learning program to Harper on Tuesday, March 19th at 1:00pm. Come, watch, and learn with your student as Mike shares his system for solving complex match problems in his head. Can you solve 789/234 in your head faster than you can type it in a calculator? He can! You have to see it to believe it. Please RSVP via the Sign Up Genius linked HERE to receive your front door ticket.
- 2nd Grade parents: Please mark your calendars for Wednesday, March 20th. High Touch High Tech visits 2nd Grade with their “Sounds Like Fun” program.
- February 4th through April 1st -- 1st Grade Yoga! Classes will participate in a yoga program led by Lisa Weber E-RYT with Heaven Meets Earth Yoga in Evanston. Lisa will hold 30 minute sessions for each class every Monday for a total of seven sessions. The program will help teach students how to calm their minds and it will build upon the growing research showing the health benefits of a mindfulness practice. This program is brought to you by iGNITE!
4th Grade Students participated in the final iGNITE! sponsored Mindfulness Program! Please see the PDF below for details of what they learned and any take home work/challenges. A link to complete an optional parent survey is also included.
Community Service Corner & News
Thank you to everyone who donated to the Welcome Kit Drive! And a special thank you to the families who help assemble the Welcome Kits on Friday! We delivered around 100 welcome kits to Connections and they were blown away by our generosity!
- Save the date! Finding Balance: Understanding how parental controls on iOS devices can help our students April, 8th 6:00-8:30pm New Trier East Campus See
- Dear Harper Community, Do you know a veteran? If you do, please ask them if it ok to share their name and address with me, Mrs. Kennedy. I am collecting names so that we can send cards and appreciation their way. Thanks for considering. If you have more questions regarding this request, please contact me at email@example.com.
2019 Municipal Election Candidate Forums will be held at the Village Hall on Saturday, March 16th. Check the website for specific groups and times.
New Trier Seniors host 25th Annual Winter Carnival March 15th, 5:30 - 9:00 pm.
Kids Against Hunger service project on Saturday, March 16th.
Wilmette Historical Museum hosts "Design Your Dream Home" on March 17th, 1:30 - 4:00 pm.
SFX PREP Board hosts Family Service Center’s Presentation "Parenting in this Digital Era” held Thursday, April 4th, 7:00 - 8:30 pm at St. Francis Xavier’s School Atrium.
the Warming House Youth Center Annual Benefit & Silent Auction will be held Saturday, April 6th, 7:00 - 10:00 pm at the Wilmette Golf Club
Northwestern’s Center for Talent Development offers Weekend Enrichment Programs for students age 3 through 8th grade.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org
Wednesday, April 10th
- 4th Grade Outdoor Education Parents Meeting, 6:30pm Harper Auditorium
Wednesday, April 17th
- General PTO Meeting: Special Presentation for incoming HMS 5th grade parents with GLAd Aaron Dubnow and Q&A Parent Panel, 9am Harper Auditorium
- Incoming Kindergarten Orientation Presentation, 6:30pm Harper Auditorium
Friday, April 19th
- No School, Good Friday
Wednesday, April 24th
- 4th Grade Music Concert
Thursday, April 25th
- Early Release Day, Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Scholastic Book Fair in Cafeteria 11am-3pm
Friday, April 26th
- No School, Parent/Teacher Conferences