English 9th Grade 1st Period
What to Expect!
First Day of High School
Please be Prepared!
Guarenteed to Learn
Course Goals and Content
- Make arguments about texts using supporting evidence
- Analyze characters in literature
- Use persuasive skills in your writing and presentations
- Use primary and secondary sources to validate your arguments
This class requires reading, writing, analyzing, and performing. In order to ease these activities, we will be reading four books in different genres:
· Quarter 1: The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez (Non-fiction)
· Quarter 2: The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros (Fiction)
· Quarter 3: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (Theater Play/Film)
· Quarter 4: Animal Farm by George Orwell (Fiction/Film)
· Ongoing: Throughout the year, shorter texts will be assigned including but not limited to song lyrics, poetry, news articles, and speech texts