Wednesday Roundup | 4.19.23
Spotlight Image: Middlesex Elementary School 1st grader Jahbril Bennett is all smiles as he practices his literacy skills. Photo courtesy Lauren Whiteko.
- April 21, 2023 - Modified Virtual Schedule (more info below)
- April 26, 2023 - Community Supports Expo
- April 26-30, 2023 - CV High School Musical
- May 1, 2023 - School Board Meeting
- May 22, 2023 - School Board Meeting
- May 25, 2023 - District Arts Festival
- May 29, 2023 - No School
* All events subject to change. Not an all-inclusive list.
News & Announcements
Vote for CV Senior as MaxPreps PA Athlete of the Week
Congratulations to CV High School's Thomas Smith, a senior boys volleyball player, who has been named as a MaxPreps Pennsylvania Athlete of the Week nominee. If you would like, please consider voting for Thomas by clicking here.
About Thomas: The Senior had 55 and 34 assists in wins over State College (3-1) and Carlisle (3-0). Has 261 assists this season.
Reminder: Change to April 21, 2023, schedule
As a reminder, there has been a change to the schedule for our April 21, 2023, modified virtual day. Please reference the email that was sent to families on April 14, 2023, for full details.
(Excerpt from April 14, 2023, email.) - We recognize that we experienced issues throughout this school year with our pre-planned modified virtual days, like the one scheduled for next Friday, April 21, 2023. Challenges have centered around technology and bandwidth usage as well as family schedules. Because of these challenges, we have eliminated days like this in the 2023-2024 school calendar.
With this in mind, we are today writing to share changes regarding the April 21, 2023, pre-scheduled modified virtual day. On this day, we will NOT have live virtual instruction other than a brief morning meeting for our elementary students to ensure we are able to connect with our youngest learners. The remainder of the day will include virtual office hours for each teacher and asynchronous (not live) instruction for all students. This transition to asynchronous (not live) instruction is for the April 21, 2023, modified virtual day only.
Your child's teacher and/or building principal has provided/will provide more detailed information and building-level schedules.
CV Staffer Ran 127th Boston Marathon
Help us congratulate Cumberland Valley's Kerry Johnson, an administrative assistant in the District Office, who successfully ran the 127th Boston Marathon on Monday, April 17, 2023. We're #CVproud to celebrate the accomplishments of our students and staff, both in school and in the community.
Eagle Foundation Hosts Annual Gala
Congratulations to all of our Eagle Foundation Building Stars and to our Commitment to Excellence award recipient, Dr. Megan Ward, all of whom were honored as part of the Foundation's gala on Sunday evening. A sold-out crowd of approximately 350 staff and supporters gathered to celebrate our winners.
The event was a red-and-white celebration that included a performance by CV High School's cello quartet, in addition to a sneak peek at the upcoming musical, Beauty and the Beast. Special thanks to our CV Agriculture Department students who assembled the centerpieces for the event.
Visit www.cvschools.org/eaglefdn for a complete list of winners and to learn more about the Eagle Foundation's upcoming events.
Middle, High School Students Earn Numerous Science & Engineering Awards
Students from CV High School, Eagle View Middle School, and Mountain View Middle School garnered numerous awards at the 2023 Capital Area Science and Engineering Fair. Help us send congratulations to the following students:
- Deeksha Rajesh, CVHS – 3rd place, American Chemical Society, Southern PA Section Special Award; BioGenius Invitation; and Senior CASEF Category Award and Wolfram Award in Chemical Science
- Ari Callahan, CVHS – 1st place, American Highway Engineers Association Harrisburg Section Special Award; Dr. George Love Judge’s Award; Harrisburg University of Science and Technology Material Science Award; Harrisburg University of Science and Technology Scholarship; Sr Women’s Transportation Seminar, Central PA Chapter Special Award; Senior CASEF Category Award and Wolfram Award in Environmental Science; and 2022 CASEF Grand Champion senior division finalist
- Parimala Rajesh, CVHS – Sr., CASEF Exceptional Journal Award; Harrisburg University of Science and Technology Scholarship; U.S. Air Force Special Award; Senior Scholarship for 5 years of participation; and 2022 CASEF Grand Champion senior division alternate
- Lila Powers, Mountain View – Jr., Conodoguinet Creek Watershed Association Special Award; and Jr PA Department of Environmental Resources Water Quality Award
- Sneha Arikeri (pictured), Mountain View – 2nd place, Dauphin County Medical Society Alliance Special Award; Thermo Fisher Scientific Junior Innovative Challenge Special Award, Junior CASEF Category Award in Medicine & Health; and 2022 CASEF junior division Grand Champion first runner-up
- Shreemayi Kumaresan, Eagle View – Dr. George Love Judge’s Award
- Gia Susan John, CVHS – Honorable Mention, Sr PSEA Retired Teachers Award
- Urjit Sau & Aditya Suresh, Eagle View – Sustainable Energy Fund Energy Path Invitation Special Award
- Angel Mathews, Mountain View – Thermo Fisher Scientific Junior Innovative Challenge Special Award; and Junior CASEF Category Award in Chemical Science
- Adrija Rambhatla, CVHS – Senior Scholarship for 4 years of participation; and Senior CASEF Category Award and Wolfram Award in Physical Science
- Sai Sri Nidhi Mogilineedi, Mountain View – Junior CASEF Category Award in Environmental Science
Portrait of an Eagle: Student Spotlight
Our Hampden Elementary School Dragons displayed responsibility, communication, confidence, and so much more as they navigated their new bikes and scooters course as part of Mrs. Burns' Physical Education class. They are a Portrait of an Eagle!
Special thanks to the Eagle Foundation for providing Mrs. Burns with a learning grant to fund this project, and thanks to Mrs. Burns for the videos.
School Board News
Upcoming School Board Meetings
Unless otherwise advertised, all meetings begin at 7 p.m. and will take place in the District Office Board Room (6746 Carlisle Pike, Mechanicsburg)
Monday, May 1, 2023
Monday, May 22, 2023
Community Supports Expo
COMMUNITY SUPPORTS EXPO 2023
Thursday, April 26, 6:30-8 p.m., West Short S.D. Administration Center
Childcare will be Available
The West Shore School District's Special Education Department is hosting a Community Supports Expo for parents with students attending West Shore, Cumberland Valley, East Pennsboro, and Camp Hill School Districts. Come speak with representatives from Arc of Cumberland & Perry Counties, Arc of York County, Easterseals, Include Me, Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, TNS Programs, and other organizations. Please click here to register if you plan to attend.
More information is available on the Community Supports Expo flyer attached below.
Spring Musical Tickets
Reminder: Below is information about our spring musical production at CV High School.
Beauty and the Beast
April 26, 27, and 28 – 7 p.m. | April 29 and 30 – 2 p.m.
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
Pricing: Adults $20, Student/Senior (65+) $15
Reminder: Change to Start/End Times for Eastern Elementary Schools
District administration has been working over the past year to identify ways to return our eastern elementary schools to an earlier start time. With the identification of an additional transportation service and new drivers, we believe we are able to move Hampden, Shaull, Sporting Hill, and Winding Creek Elementary schools back to a 9:15 a.m. start time, with an end time of 3:55 p.m., beginning next school year.
Please click the Quick Access link below to view the anticipated 2023-24 instructional day schedule by building for each school across the district. (NOTE: Hours in which the building is physically open and students are permitted to enter for the start of the day vary by building.)
(Originally shared via January 25, 2023, Wednesday Roundup.)
Emergency Communication/Official Channels for Communication
It is important to ensure that you only look for communication via our official channels. Please click here to visit our website for a chart illustrating the various ways our stakeholders can connect through our official channels with individual staff, a specific school building, and the district.
Register for Text Alerts
Cumberland Valley School District uses text messaging as a mode of communication during inclement weather, emergencies, bus delays, and more. If you are a parent/guardian who is new to the District or if you have not previously signed up to receive text alerts, please sign into your Skyward Family Access account and complete the “Text (SMS) Notifications” form. For step-by-step directions, please click the "How do I register" link below.