WVHS CLASS OF 2023 COUNSELING NEWS
Important Information for your Senior Year at West Valley
You've finally made it...
There are just months until your graduation on May 16th! Stay tuned for a Senior Class Meeting in late September to discuss Caps & Gowns, Graduation Planning, and Counseling Updates. But in the meantime...
WV Counselors will be meeting individually with each Senior beginning on Monday, September 12th to complete your annual Personal Learning & Career Plan (PLCP) meetings. In order to meet with each of you, these meetings will continue through early October. We will be confirming your graduation progress, discussing steps you are taking for your "Life After West Valley", and reviewing important resources.
Newsletter Topics Include:
- GRADUATION CREDIT CHECKS
- PE WAIVERS
- ACT, SAT & WORKKEYS EXAMS
- COLLEGE APPLICATIONS
- CAREER & TECHNICAL EDUCATION (CTE) OPPORTUNITIES
- TRANSCRIPTS & LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
- AKCIS RESOURCES
- SCHOLARSHIPS & FINANCIAL AID
Please do not be afraid to reach out with any questions. Your Senior year is busy and will go faster than you think - it's never too early to be on top of applications and research. We can't wait to celebrate all that you have accomplished!
~West Valley Counseling Team
Personal Learning & Career Plan (PLCP) Meetings
Counseling Staff will be sending individual passes to students with your scheduled PLCP date and time. Please be sure to stop by the Counseling Office and let us know if you cannot make your scheduled meeting time.
We are busy ensuring all Seniors have the credits they need for graduation in May. Students and parents can also view graduation progress in PowerSchool -> Academics -> Graduation Progress. Another useful tool is the West Valley Credit Worksheet (shown below). Remember:
Credits to Earn Diploma = 22.5 Credits
Credits to Earn Honor Medallion (to be worn at Graduation ceremony) = 24 Credits
Physical Education (PE) Waivers
- 1 Sport Season = 0.25 PE Waiver
- Students can submit up to 4 PE waivers (up to 1.0 credits waived)
- For the Class of 2023, PE waivers do not earn actual credit - students can choose a different elective course in its place
College Entrance Exams - ACT & SAT
Schedule Your Exam Online:
2022-23 Exam Dates: Oct. 22nd, Dec. 10th, Feb. 11th, Apr. 15th
2022-23 SAT Exam Dates: Oct. 1st, Nov. 5th, Dec. 3rd, Mar. 11th, May 6th
Fairbanks-Area Proctor = UAF Testing Center: https://ecampus.uaf.edu/exam-services/.
West Valley School Code: 020028
Which exam should you take? Compare the ACT & SAT:
COLLEGE APPLICATION RESOURCES
Visit School Websites directly - many may have their own online applications.
Fiske's Sizing-Yourself-Up Survey - Take the short survey to learn more about yourself and help choose a college that best fits you.
UAF Inside Out Day - Oct. 22, 2022
- Tour UAF & Receive an Application Fee Waiver
Scheduling the Exam:
Fairbanks Job Center
675 Seventh Avenue, Station D – Fairbanks, AK 99701-4531
To pre-register: Call front desk at (907) 451-5901. Test is offered most Mondays from 1:00pm to 4:00pm and Wednesdays from 9:00am to 12:00pm
For more information on the WorkKeys exams and its components, visit www.act.org/workkeys.
Career & Technical Education (CTE) Opportunities
Intro to Trades Classes (taught at the Pipeline Training Center): https://www.k12northstar.org/Page/7859
Applications available Spring of Senior year.
School to Apprenticeship Program: https://www.k12northstar.org/Page/5163
Apply for direct entry to local unions - applications available Spring of Senior year.
Transcripts & Letters of Recommendation
- TRANSCRIPTS - Request High School Transcripts Online via Parchment
- Create an Account at https://www.parchment.com/
- If you must have a hard copy, see the Counseling Office Transcript Desk.
- Letters of Recommendation - Allow 2 Weeks MINIMUM!
- Request letters from teachers & staff who know you well
- Deadline for Fall Semester = Dec. 1st, 2022 (to request from staff)
- Fill out Student & Parent Input Forms - Available in the Counseling Office or online at https://www.k12northstar.org/Page/10427
Career Interest Inventory - Answer questions about your likes/dislikes to create a list of careers that fit your unique interests.
School Sort - Search for colleges and post-secondary education opportunities that meet your criteria (location, major, cost, etc.) across the entire U.S.
Financial Aid Sort - Explore scholarships and grants that you might qualify for.
All Alaska students have access to a free account (typically set-up during your English 10 class), or utilize the generic West Valley HS login:
Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Includes many local scholarships, listed by the month they are typically due
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): https://studentaid.gov/
- Apply for federal student aid including federal grants, work-study, and loans
- Required by many states and colleges and used to determine your eligibility for other forms of scholarship and aid
- Application opens in October 1st, 2022
Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE): https://www.wiche.edu/tuition-savings/wue/
- Agreement between 16 states (including Alaska) to provide reduced-rate tuition to nonresidents
ALASKA PERFORMANCE SCHOLARSHIP (APS)
The APS provides an opportunity for Alaska high school students to earn a scholarship to help cover the cost of an Alaska postsecondary education.
Eligibility requirements for APS include:
- Alaska residents who graduate from an Alaska high school (public, private, or home school);
- Take required coursework in high school;
- Earn minimum of 2.5 GPA;
- Meet qualifying score on college/career entrance exam.
Your application for APS is completing your FAFSA. Find more information at https://acpe.alaska.gov/FINANCIAL-AID/AK-Performance-Scholarship.
UAF Courses for High School Students
Students must complete an Outside Credit Request through the FNSBSD to receive high school credit as well: https://www.k12northstar.org/Page/8880.
Counselor Contact Information
(907) 479-4221 ext. 46523
Last Names A-G (10th-12th Grade)
(907) 479-4221 ext. 46525
Colleen Johnston (Interim)
Last Names H-O (10th-12th Grade)
(907) 479-4221 ext. 46524
Last Names P-Z (10th-12th Grade)
(907) 479-4221 ext. 46527