Volume 3/Issue 21 February 8, 2016
Hello, everyone! I hope you had a fun weekend either watching the Super Bowl or celebrating Mardi Gras. I was thinking about how difficult the month of February can be on staff and students and how we can start focusing on all the negatives. I know I’m guilty of that too! When I was interviewing for long term subs this morning, one of the candidates asked me to describe the culture of Jackson. It took me a minute to think since I had only had 1 cup of coffee, but then I was able to think very clearly. I told her that the people at Jackson take their jobs very seriously and that we have one common goal which is to help our children academically while building relationships with our kids. It’s a culture of collaboration and professionalism. We don’t all have to be best buddies, but we have mutual respect for each other. I hope I got it right! Our days are filled with triumphs and difficulties, but I challenge you and especially myself this week to focus on those triumphs and on the kids that are your success stories. Have a great week!
There are six developmental stages in the learning process occur when relationships are supportive and nurturing.
- Ability to attend- To pay attention to the sensory data in the environment.
- Ability to engage- To experience feelings...joy, pleasure, anger, emotional warmth, disappointment, assertiveness, etc.
- Ability to be intentional- To create and direct desire. To use non-verbals with purpose and intention.
- Ability to form complex interactive patterns- To connect and use one's own intentional signals in interaction with another to negotiate and to receive security, acceptance, and approval.
- Ability to create images, symbols, and ideas- To give abstract mental constructs emotional meaning and significance. This is the basis of reasoning and emotion-based coping strategies.
- Ability to connect images, symbols, and ideas- To develop the infrastructure and architecture of the mind. To "image" one's own feelings and desires and to understand emotional signals from others.
We all know that relationships are not built in one day but over time.
- 2/8 Progress Reports
- 2/9 Tech Tuesday
- 2/10 Team Leader Meeting
- 2/12 Friendship Parties
- 2/12 Wilson Theater Group Program @ 10:45am
- 2/15 Professional Development Day
- 2/17 PLC meetings
- 2/19 5th Grade Jackson Jam
- 2/20 Saturday School
- 2/23 AVID meeting
- 2/25 Third Grade Field Trip (Railroad Museum)
- 2/26 Coffee Talk
- 2/26 Jackson Jam
- 2/27 Saturday School
- 2/29 Mock STAAR for Math
Reminders to include in your grade level newsletters
- Remember to talk up the Jackson Bookworm Challenge.
- Remind parents to help students learn their ID numbers
- Tardy bell is at 7:45 am
- If they are planning to change the way their student is going home it needs to be done by 2pm