Long Hill School Newsletter
Message from the Principal, Mrs. D'Aiuto
Our students had a busy October with so many great activities that have occurred inside and outside of the classrooms. Once again, our PTO-sponsored Book Fair was a success and the students were excited to make their purchases and eager to read and share their new books. LHS donated $500 to the Valley Goes Pink Initiative as LHS went pink on October 11. In October, our students also participated in Fire Prevention, Unity Day, and Orange & Black day.
I enjoy my frequent visits to the classrooms and enjoy watching the students engage in lessons and have meaningful discussions with one another. With the Thanksgiving break right around the corner, time seem to fly by and before we know it there will be snow on the ground. We have much to be grateful for at LHS. I am thankful for our wonderful families and for the ongoing opportunities to work with each one of you. Enjoy your time with family and friends during our Thanksgiving break.
- Tuesday, November 7: No School - Election Day
- Thursday, November 16: PTO sponsored Glow Run for students - held during the school day
- Friday, November 17: Early dismissal K-4:1:50pm; Pre-k am session hours: 8:45am-11:05am; Pre-k pm session hours: 11:45am-1:50pm
- Tuesday, November 21: Early dismissal K-4:1:50pm; Pre-k am session hours: 8:45am-11:05am; Pre-k pm session hours: 11:45am-1:50pm
- Wednesday, November 22: Early dismissal K-4:1:50pm; Pre-k am session hours: 8:45am-11:05am; Pre-k pm session hours: 11:45am-1:50p
- Thursday, November 23-Friday, November 24: No School - Thanksgiving Recess
- Wednesday, November 29: First Trimester ends
Parking Lot Reminders
Please help to keep our children safe. I ask you to be mindful of your speed in the parking lot at both arrival and dismissal times - you never know when someone will unexpectedly cross. Pedestrians and buses always have the right of way - especially in the crosswalk. Also, please DO NOT drop your child off in the lot and have them cross alone. If there is no staff outside in the parking lot for drop off, you must park and walk your child to the front door and buzz the main office. In addition, DO NOT pull into the bus loop during arrival time. This is to keep our students safe. I appreciate all your help and cooperation.
Our annual food drive will take place from Wednesday, November 1- Friday, November 17. A collection box will be located in our main lobby. All donations will go to the Audrey Dreyer Food Bank. The list of items that are needed is below.
Honoring Our Veterans
Please join us as we honor the people in our lives and community who are actively serving, or have served, as members of the armed forces (Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, Coast Guard).
If you would like to participate in this optional project, please have your child complete the star (which was previously sent home) and hand it in to his/her teacher by Friday, November 3, 2023.
Another copy of the star is below.
Infinite Campus Updates
With the winter weather approaching, please make sure your information in Infinite Campus is updated so we have the proper contact information. It is imperative that you keep us updated if any of this information changes. You can do this by calling the main office.
In addition, if you move you MUST notify the main office immediately.
As the weather is getting cooler, please make sure your child comes to school properly dressed and has a coat as students will continue to go outdoors for recess.
As a reminder, breakfast and lunch are available each day for kindergarten - fourth grade students at a charge. In addition to the hot lunch choice-chicken nuggets, bagel, grilled cheese, and salad are available each day.
Households may submit a free-and-reduced-priced-meal-application as soon as possible
to determine a student's eligibility for this school year. If you need a paper copy of this application, please contact the main office.
Please find the complete FRAM packet below attached or you may find the application located on the district's website. Please return all completed application forms to the school.
How to set up low balance notifications in Infinite Campus
Below are directions on how to set up low balance notifications in Infinite Campus.
From the PTO's Desk
- PTO Membership drive is closed now. The winners will be announced soon.
- Book Fair and Trunk or treat was a great success. Thanks to everyone.
- Spirit wear distribution completed. Socks will be delivered soon as well.
- Booster Thon Glow Run is in progress. The flyers were sent home. Please register and help raise funds. Our target is 10k that will be used for cultural assemblies like BMX and other enrichment programs.
- Monthly Teachers' treat scheduled for Nov 14th. Sign up coming soon.
- Holiday Fair details will be sent in first week of December.
- Join us on Facebook by searching LHS PTO SHELTON or https://www.facebook.com/groups/969539826920560
Address: 565 Long Hill Avenue, Shelton
Phone number: (203)-929-4077
Fax number: (203)-929-8250
LHS Policies & Procedures: https://www.smore.com/674wn
Principal of Long Hill Elementary School