Fragile X Syndrome
Symptoms and Treatments
* Mental retardation
* Lack of attention/ active when young
* Communication lacks
* Usually emotionally unstable
* Narrow faces
* Big heads
* Large ears
* This disease sometimes is linked to a form of Autism
* NO Treatments or cures found
* Therapy is available
* Medication for relaxation
* Special Education is also an available option
* Setting routines help take off edge
Research and Heredity
* Fragile X syndrome occurs only on the X chromosome
* Males usually have it worse than females because they only have one X, females have 2
*Permutation within the mother or father has the risk of passing down the trait
*Permutation is when you lack protein: A child with the disease has CGG sequence that has to many or not enough amino acids
*The dominant trait passes it down
* Females who give off trait to their daughters are not as effected because the male gives off an X balancing the syndrome out with symptoms. This also applies to the males if they carry the mutation, but the female balances out. If they both carry the mutation then it can result in a brain damaged daughter.
* Males can not give the trait to their son's because they give off a y chromosome. Females are the only one who could pass it down to their son's. Since another X chromosome does not balance out within the boys, they usually have brain damage that is more common, but sometimes males don't have brain damage.
* Research for medication is being experimented on to help a certain part of the brain.
“Fragile X Syndrome.” Genetics Home Reference. U.S National Lib of Medicince, Apr. 2012. Web. 5 Apr. 2016. <https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/fragile-x-syndrome>.
Fundukian, Laurie J. “Fragile X Syndrome.” The Gale Encyclopedia of Genetic Disorders. 2010. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 4 Apr. 2016.“Learning about Fragile X Syndrome.” National Human Genome Research Institute. NIH, 27 Dec. 2013. Web. 5 Apr. 2016. <https://www.genome.gov/19518828>.
Fair Use Statement
This presentation contains copyrighted material under the educational fair use exemption to the U.S. copyright law. It has been prepared according to the multimedia fair use guidelines and is restricted from further use.