Cantlebary's Cubs' Newsletter
Week of May 2, 2016
Notes from Ms. Cantlebary...
- On Monday, May 2 students will take the STAR Reading Assessment in the morning. This is the last time students will take the test this year. It is important for students to get a good night's sleep and have a good breakfast. Please talk to your student about taking his/her time and doing their best on the test. We will take the STAR Math Test on May 12th.
- This Friday is Science Olympiad STEM Day! Students in grades K-5 will compete against the students in their grade level in engineering tasks for their chance to win a gold, silver, or bronze medal! First grade classes will compete after lunch on Friday. If at all possible please do not check your child out early on Friday or he/she will not be able to finish competing. It's going to be a LOT of fun and I don't want any student to miss it.
- This week is the Buy One, Get One Scholastic Book Fair. When they buy a book, students can get a book at equal or lesser value for free! Our class' designated shopping time is Wednesday from 9:30-9:45. If you send money with your child on Wednesday please put it in an envelope or a Ziploc bag. If you would like to take your child to the book fair, please come to eat lunch with your child (our lunch is from 11:15-11:45) and take him/her during/after lunch. We have recess directly after lunch, so students are welcome to visit the book fair during that time.
- Field Day is Friday, May 13th. :0)
- Look for information about the last week of school coming next week!
- If you and your Cub would like to have a conference with me to discuss their progress this year, please contact me and we will find a time that fits both our schedules.
high, sigh, sight, light, right, why, what, when, which, white
bright, flight, highway, whisper, whether, bought, caught, eight, whistle, whiteboard
Practice spelling words here.
Students continue to receive reading homework. Please make sure your child reads their book every night and returns to school with their book the next day. Don't forget to sign your child's reading log! We will focus on comparing and contrasting the adventures and experiences of characters in a story. We will also talk about American Tall Tales.
We continue our unit on narrative writing. We will learn strategies to help us make our writing better and discuss how we can check our writing.
Phonics this week will focus on the digraphs wh and gh. We continue to review previously taught skills.
We continue our unit on geometry. This week we will talk about defining and non-defining attributes, comparing shapes, and 3D shapes.
We continue our unit on economics. We will discuss our class store. We will determine what jobs we will need for our store and who will do each job.
Our Weekly Reading Strategy
Scoop It Up to Smooth It Out
Improve your reading fluency with this strategy.
Instead of reading each word separately, scoop them up two or three words at a time.
Slide your finger in a scoop under the first few words and read them all in one breath.
Then continue to scoop up words in small groups to make it easier to read smoothly.