Holly Academy News & Views
January 15, 2021
January is National School Board Recognition Month. This is the time to recognize and celebrate the hard work of our volunteer Board of Directors. We are so appreciative of our Board as they have helped us navigate through the unprecedented past year. The Board has made many crucial decisions in this COVID environment, and throughout, has been steadfast in putting our Huskies first. Prioritizing face-to-face instruction, while ensuring the safety of students and staff has been at the forefront of all decisions. We applaud the Board for donating countless hours to governing Holly Academy, which in no small measure adds to our success. THANK YOU to our outstanding Board:
David Cruickshank, President
Joan Ehrhardt, Vice President
Stephen Jenkins, Treasurer
Dylan Adams, Secretary
Diane Wujciak, Director
Doreen DeBenedictus, Director
Amy Hillman, Director
Remote Learning Chromebooks
We were happy to loan out Chromebooks for remote learning that took place immediately prior to winter break and the last two weeks. If your Husky is an elementary student and you borrowed a Chromebook please return it and the power cord, bagged together, (original bag, if possible) to the main building vestibule on Tuesday, January 19th. We run many programs in school that will require the return of these devices. Thank you!
Annual Education Report
Great News for 2021!
We are so happy to announce some long awaited improvements that have occurred over the past month:
- New auditorium curtains have been installed and are absolutely beautiful! These curtains were part of our PTO's big ticket purchase.
- The main building student restrooms have been renovated - oh my, what a difference!
- Between a generous PTO donation and our general fund, we have ordered chromebooks to support one-to-one technology for our students! Due to availability, it will take months to receive them, but we are so excited about this opportunity for our Huskies!
- Through an additional PTO initiative, we have a book vending machine in the main building lobby! Students will earn tokens (similar to Husky Pride tokens) and will use those tokens to purchase books.
While it took years to plan for the restroom renovation and the chromebook purchase, you can see how beneficial it is for our Huskies when you contribute to the PTO. Also, kudos to Mr. Melero for making the renovation happen. These are the ways we "dare to be remarkable" to accomplish our goals! It's great to be a Husky!
I want to extend all of our Husky families a huge thank you for your assistance in getting our students NWEA tested remotely over the past week. As you know, we have never had to proctor this assessment in a completely virtual environment. We simply could not have done it without you!! I appreciate your patience and willingness to partner with us in this endeavor.
In addition, I would also like to thank Mrs. Craven, Mrs. Price, Mr. Appleton, Mr. McKee, Ms. Kildee, Ms. Burns, and the many teachers who assisted with completing this monumental task! #itsgreattobeaHusky
Re-enrollment for 2021-2022
Free Vision Screening
I regret to inform all of you we will not have a girl's basketball season this year. Just as the girl's volleyball, co-ed soccer, and boy's basketball were canceled earlier this year, not much has changed since then. There are many factors, but none are as important as the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) announcement on Wednesday, January 13, 2021, which extended the ban on contact sports. We simply do not know when the ban by MDHHS will end, but with the continued rise in positive Covid cases, we do not see this changing for the better anytime soon.
Holly Academy will continue with our strong protocols, which have kept the number of cases low. We also look forward to getting back to "normal" both in the classroom and on the athletic surfaces!
Thank you for your support and understanding!
Uniform Clothing Available
- Jan. 18 - No school, MLK Jr. Day
- Jan. 19 - In-person school resumes
- Jan. 21 - PTO meeting at 8:15am via Zoom
- Jan. 22 - PTO dress down, $1.00
- Jan. 27 - Board of Director's meeting, 5:30pm
- Jan. 28 - Report cards sent home
- Jan. 29 - Caring Committee dress down day, $1.00
- Feb. 5 - PBIS dress down, $1.00
- Feb 10 - Count Day
- Feb. 11 - PTO meeting at 8:15am via Zoom
- Feb 12 - Half day, dismiss at 11:30am
- Feb. 15 - No school, Presidents' Day
- Feb. 19 - PTO dress down, $1.00